honda problem

Im copying and pasting this from another site . trying to help the guy but i dont know these engines too well. what do you guys think?

So,
Honda ES5000 generator.
Its old, 10-15 years old.

Has run fine for years.

Last night, our second power outage of the year, it started to spit out the carb in time with each stroke...so there is quite a bit of air coming out the carb each cycle.

Secondly, it sounds like the generator is putting way to much load on it and it barely runs, was not putting out the right amount of power (everything was flickering on an off in the house) and it eventually died several times.

Starts up, but even in stand along mode, it stalls when I put a load on it.

I have resorted to plugging a drill into it after it warms up and it takes two or three stalls but it finally will take the load of the drill, which I cycle on and off many times to get the generator to wake up.

Then when I put the house on it, it dies, so again I need to start it 5 times.

So, several questions.
Why is it blowing so much out of the carb?
Its overhead valve, so maybe i need to adjust the valves???
I found .020 and .015 intake exhaust clearance, so I will see what I have on those today.

Second
What is up with the power fluxuation and how can I test it, and what do I test?
Automatic voltage regulator, flashing the generator with a 12vdc battery, ohm testing the windings....all foreign to me.

Called around, no shop nearby that repairs these, but there is a place about an hour away...so I am not ready to do that just yet.

Hoping maybe someone or three here might give me a few specific directions on what to do...how to test etc.

Seems like the engine would be a good place to start.
Last power outage was less than 30 days ago, generator ran fine through two tanks of fuel, no issues.

Rich