Honda xl70 build

Hi I am a new member here so Im posting one of my projects here. I bought this little 70s xl70 off craigslist with no motor, and it included a 5hp briggs. The bike has working breaks, good tires, and good shocks. I will be getting it running and put an old comet 30 series TC on it. Sorry for the cruddy pic, my camera battery died and it was dark out. I will get some good pics soon.

It be a whole lot easier to buy a CT70 clone engine and drop in it. There is a lot of 125cc ones on eBay for 230 bucks including shipping that will drop right in and work whole lot better than a Briggs with a TAV will in that bike,

It be a whole lot easier to buy a CT70 clone engine and drop in it. There is a lot of 125cc ones on eBay for 230 bucks including shipping that will drop right in and work whole lot better than a Briggs with a TAV will in that bike,
agreed! and it will hold it's collectivity if you don't go cutting it up..
:grind::hammer:

toomanytoys

+1

if you want to spend a little more, you can go even bigger, 150cc and that thing would be a handful.

I have a 125 in my CT70 and I can't keep the front end on the ground. Its about too much for it.

pomfish

I have an entire 1971 XL70 roller with the original engine that will probably need rings for $125 if that helps you. You would need to pick up.
Engine is free with good spark, tires good, brakes work,etc.

The guys are right on not using a TAV and small lawnmower engine on this bike, you will just spend a lot of money and be disappointed with the performance.

Thanks,
Keith

1971 XL70?, It should be a SL70 if its a 1971. 1974 was the first year for the Xl70 after Honda drop the SL name on the bikes.
Anyways send it my way for a 125 bucks, I could use a second one, I like them.

1971 XL70?, It should be a SL70 if its a 1971. 1974 was the first year for the Xl70 after Honda drop the SL name on the bikes.
Anyways send it my way for a 125 bucks, I could use a second one, I like them.
Very true.. 1971-72 was called a SL70k0 and 1973 was called a SL70K1 in whick a Speedo was OEM on 73 models. Then they became XL70's.

1971-72 Available three colors: Summer Yellow, Aquarius Blue, and Light Ruby red
1973 Available colors: Candy Riviera Blue, Fire Red, and Candy Yellow

Just thought I would ad a little more info with description :thumbsup:

Honda SL70From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Honda SL70 Motosport, which was introduced in 1971, was a small motorcycle, with a cradle frame and a four-speed gearbox. Numerous versions were made until 1976, although it took on the XL designation in 1974.

[edit] SpecificationsYear of Production: 1971–1972
Displacement: 72 cm³ (4.4 cubic inches)
Engine: 4 stroke air cooled single cylinder, single overhead cam
Ignition: Breaker points, 6 volts
Power 6.5 PS (4.8 kW) @ 9,500 rpm
Transmission:4 speed
Fuel system: Carburettor
Valves: 2 valves per cylinder
Spark Plug: NGK C7HSA

The vast majority of production of this model went to the American market. The bike was not officially sold in the UK market.

From 1971 to 1972 it was known as an SL70K0. A speedometer was optional. In 1973 it was known as an SL70K1, and a speedometer was standard.

Last edited:
1974, XL70's in Orange are my favorites. Back when I was 8 I learn to ride my first motorized bike in 1978 and it was on a 1974, Honda XL70.

Now I have one in my collection. Its one of my favorite bikes. Actually number 1

Here is some good pics, Its a 74. All the wiring is gone and motor mounts. And I got a tight budget, I paid $40 for the bike, motor, and clutch. I started striping the motor for some performance mods, Its the one with the carb and tank on, the other one is a parts motor.

[YOUTUBE]Start up of 5hp Briggs straight pipe no governor - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

This is the motor that will go on it temporary while I build another one up. I got to many 5hp briggs lol. I made the straight pipe today. Amazing how bullet proof these engines are, this thing had no governor in it since the late 90s and still runs good. Smokes alittle, I was also running 2 stroke gas in it.

Edit I cant figure out why there is 2 vids?

The tank on your roller is actually from an XR75 K0. The very first version of the XR75 that was sold in 1973. Also the only year of XR75 with the rounded "SL style" tank. The tank, itself, is probably worth more than you paid for the whole package !

You would need to do MAJOR surgery to even think about putting a horizontal shaft, Tec, B & S or clone in that frame. Not worth the frustration. It would be ugly, cobbled together and worthless if you ever decided to try to sell it.

Used Honda engines are plentiful and if an engine is not stuck - and doesn't have problems in the bottom end, clutch or tranny - they are very affordable to bring back to service. You could opt for a CT70 engine with automatic clutch / 3 spd tranny - or with the original SL or XL70 engine with manual clutch an 4 spd tranny.

As others have already mentioned, there are numerous clones of the horizontal cylinder Honda engines. In most cases, these would drop right in your frame. Some of the clones come with electric start...which may change fitment. Not sure about that as I have never used one of them on the numerous small Hondas in my collection.

All of this having been said, I would seriously think about getting a used engine that is correct for this bike. They are easy and affordable to "refresh"...and with regular oil changes and essentially minimal maintenence...they will almost run forever !

The tank on your roller is actually from an XR75 K0. The very first version of the XR75 that was sold in 1973. Also the only year of XR75 with the rounded "SL style" tank. The tank, itself, is probably worth more than you paid for the whole package !

You would need to do MAJOR surgery to even think about putting a horizontal shaft, Tec, B & S or clone in that frame. Not worth the frustration. It would be ugly, cobbled together and worthless if you ever decided to try to sell it.

Used Honda engines are plentiful and if an engine is not stuck - and doesn't have problems in the bottom end, clutch or tranny - they are very affordable to bring back to service. You could opt for a CT70 engine with automatic clutch / 3 spd tranny - or with the original SL or XL70 engine with manual clutch an 4 spd tranny.

As others have already mentioned, there are numerous clones of the horizontal cylinder Honda engines. In most cases, these would drop right in your frame. Some of the clones come with electric start...which may change fitment. Not sure about that as I have never used one of them on the numerous small Hondas in my collection.

All of this having been said, I would seriously think about getting a used engine that is correct for this bike. They are easy and affordable to "refresh"...and with regular oil changes and essentially minimal maintenence...they will almost run forever !

Thanks for the info, but for the final time, I am not putting a stock style motor in it. It would be way more time, frustration, and money to put a factory motor in it than a briggs. And whats so hard about it? Weld a motor mount plate, run a jackshaft, and some other little junk. Alot easier than buying a motor, carb, airbox, cdi, coil, wiring harness, motor mounts, ect. I dont plan on spending any more than $25 for a belt.

Your decision, bro. However, after taking a closer look at your photos, I can see what you're talking about regarding the motor mounts. I had not initially noticed that your frame had been altered in that way.

From your video, it appears that you are mechanically-oriented - and you know what you're doing, so who knows ? - you may surprise us all with an awesome creation. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Just remember that if you use the stock Honda sprocket, it's probably around a 44 tooth size and uses a 420 chain. You may have to do some creative engineering to figure out your gear ratios....and if you use a jackshaft, I don't personally know of one commercially available fitted with a 420 sprocket....or where you could mount a jackshaft assembly on your frame. Things to think about.

I hope your project is a huge success. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Its so painful, just spent $120 at bmi carts. I got the tc backplate in the link above, 10ft of roller chain, 5 master links, and a 8 tooth sprocket. The top speed should be about 35mph governed, and I am leaving the motor stock. 20in tall tire, after the tc 8 tooth to 47 tooth.