Hot Shot Racer

Newest addition to the collection. I recenty heard about a couple of Hot Shots for sale in Northern Ca. After tracking them down, I became the owner of this blue beast. Its a 340 JLO with Mikuni carb , expansion chamber and salsbury 780. The silver 230 stayed in Cali.

Hot shots came in three frame sizes . According to Rob Callahan ( the builders son ) Short, like the 230 picture . Long, like my 340 and Wide, made to accomodate twin cylinder JLO's or 10 hp briggs. Short and Tall frames are all I have seen so far! Easiest way to tell between short and tall frames is to check the steering neck ( see pics )

They were equipped differently. Some with 8hp briggs , others had 230 and 340 JLO's. They used salsbury converters. My copper colored one is unusual in that it was the ( Street Model ) with a 230 a front fender ,headlight and front brake. The tank, fenders and clutch guard are fiberglass. On the blue bike the tank is glass and the fender is steel.

Last edited:
Good score KC, still got mine and it's still for sale. I got the steel Hap Jones tank spotless and it was not hurt. The guard is the only glass on mine and as you know it has the 230cc JLO. That blue one would school it proper I bet. Awesome to see another but where do we stand on known to exist Hot Shots? I'll need to know if one of you guys wont take the rare machine off my hands for Ebay. Nah, I tried that once and only got "It's only a big minibike" and other stupid comments. I'll have it melted for scrap first.:laugh: It is awesome to see it and the other red one, and to know of the silver one. I have been tempted to have the carb gone through and start mine, the petcock was closed and the tank full of truly not that bad pre-mix but it was foul and there was a line of light rust where the condensation got it. Cant see where it was now.

I found this old picture of the 'Trail Scooter' races held in Provo Canyon, Utah. On the far right you can make out a Hot Shot. For years, this was the only picture of a Hot Shot I could find. This was in the early 70's and was taken by one of the racers.

Attachments

Great picture Richard ! There has to be more pics out there of the old races. I will ask the original owner of my bike if he has any pics .

That one in your pics. Dark color, front fender, headlight. check out my copper one hmmm ?

I just picked up this hot shot mini bike 2 weeks ago. Can anybody tell me what year is it and where to get parts. It needs front and back fenders, back brake is frozen, shocks and metal tank. It has the original 8 hsp Briggs and run good. I'd like restore it to it original state. Please help.

Most bikes did not have a front fender. You will most likely have to make a rear fender. I can give you dimensions. The rear brake is most likely a 6" bendix. Shoes and springs are available from Azusa

I recently found another picture showing a Hot Shot at the 1970 National Trail Scooter Association sanctioned races in Provo canyon. I can't really tell if it's a different pic of the same machine.

Attachments

Richard, this is getting weird!
In your first pic, Dark red ,headlight and front fender, looks like my copper one, Second pic blue bike with big jlo and pipe that wraps around down tube... Hmmm ???

If you can send me pictures of the hot shot, I would appreciate it.
I have lost all my hot shots and photos.
If it has a headlight and front brake, I built it.
I added a head light, front brake, and electric start on the 340 jlo, after I took over the business in 1970 or 1971.

If you can send me pictures of the hot shot, I would appreciate it.
I have lost all my hot shots and photos.
If it has a headlight and front brake, I built it.
I added a head light, front brake, and electric start on the 340 jlo, after I took over the business in 1970 or 1971.
You didn't happen to keep a couple of bikes did you? A fellow Arizonian is looking for one.