How do you align TAV and rear sprocket?

gully

I am considering getting an off brand eBay TAV to go on a h60 on trailblazer frame. Once I have the TAV on the bike how do I align the sprocket on the TAV to the sprocket on the rear wheel? Do I have to run a jack shaft between the two? Or is ther an adjustment on the TAV where I can slide the sprocket over?

First question is..

Does the bike have a swingarm rear suspension?

If not, bolt the TAV on the motor, set it in the bike, hold a ruler on the rear sprocket pointing towards the TAV sprocket and line it up.

If swingarm, it gets interesting...

On a Trail Blazer, you'll have to clock the TAV backing plate counter clockwise and run it to the jackshaft. Then the jackshaft to the rear wheel. This is for a suspended model. Unless you run the driven outboard of the J/S plate on the left side.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

gully

First question is..

Does the bike have a swingarm rear suspension?

If not, bolt the TAV on the motor, set it in the bike, hold a ruler on the rear sprocket pointing towards the TAV sprocket and line it up.

If swingarm, it gets interesting...
Its a hardtail, without rear suspension. Does the sprocket on the TAV move back and forth and you just the 2 sprockets up?

Sprocket on TAV doesn't move. If it does, there is an issue.

Bolt the TAV on so it points straight back or one bolt hole down if it will clear the framerail, then follow my steps above.

gully

So if it doesn't line up I have move the sprocket on the rear wheel over? I have never used a torque converter set up before.

Bolt the TAV on, line up the sprockets, and the engine bolt holes on the motor plate should be close or right on. The TAV's are made to take the place of a centrifugal clutch and should line up close. Might have to fudge it a bit, but should be close.

You can also change the spacers on the rear axle to move the sprocket, but better to have the wheel centered.

Steel rear wheel or aluminum mag?

gully

It's an aluminum mag. Thanks for the help I think that I'm gonna get a TAV. The knock offs are only 20-30 more than a 1 inch clutch so that seems to be the better way to go.

I love my TAV's. I try to put them on every bike I have. 4 so far.

I have a Trail Blazer too, but with rear suspension. I ended up putting a centrifugal clutch on it instead of trying to get the TAV to work with the stock jackshaft.

With the aluminum mag, you can space the sprocket out with washers on the rim bolts. I wouldn't though.. Just saying you could if it came down to it.

gully

Yeah, it'll be a while before I'm ready to install anything, or even buy it. I'm working with Peewee pinstriping to get the entire set of decals reproduced. But I gotta track down a rear fender first.