How do you "break in" a Tec H50 motorsports engine?

You ride it like you stole it lol!
After paying $350 for a NOS H50 Motorsports motor you know damn well I will ride it like I stole it and then some ... but I would like to give my $350 a chance to live a bit longer ... is there a break in procedure or due to it being a race motor its flag down and race from the 1st pull?

1971_MB1A

Well as far as high performance automotive/race vehicle engines etc go,with the well known machine shop I use here locally they really don't require much/if any of a break in period as if it's all machined/built right you should not really have any problems that way.

1971_MB1A

Yes you got it...and maybe set the rev limiter at around 6,800 and you should be just fine at least for a while lol! For real though,we have in the past ran a 496 bbc 1/4 mi through the traps at 9,500 off/on for 3 seasons with no major problems. Anymore most of the performance machine shops around here seem to be pretty decent unless maybe they are still using caveman equipment/technology.

Kevin,
The best way to "break in" any of these small engines (and the H50 Motorsports is no exception) is to put them under load with actual riding conditions. Vary the rpm thorough the entire range, however go easy on extended periods at either extreme. The worst thing you can do is just let it sit and idle for a long time, as the rings will not seat properly.
Michael

Use a good non synthetic oil like Valvoline VR1 10-30 If you have an oriley's they will order it for you. Change it after running the motor for 20 to 30 minutes keeping rpm reasonable but preferably on a mini or kart so it is under load. I would not rev it to 7000 as it is not making power at that rpm unless you get the motorsports cam reground. Then after an hour change the oil again and ride it like you stole it. They will go to 7000 rpm and the kart guys would do that when on a long straight but the power is falling off by then. The cams in the motorsports are a different material than the regular cast tec cams and weld real well. Regular welded lobe tec cams will often have pit marks in the hardface weld. I read that in a article jeff clements wrote.

creia and ole4 I was waiting for BOTH of you top chime in ... and you never let me down.

I just went on NAPA online, ordered 2 quarts for a tick over $14 and I will pick them up in the store tomorrow ...

Break in will be done as instructed ..