How to build a better Jackshaft

Here are a couple of jackshafts I made for my 2 Tule Troopers. These will replace the 2 speed transmission. These were made from 4" x 6" x 3/16" thick Rectangle steel tubing.

Keep on puttin' :scooter:

I don't think it will twist. Its very strong. The 1st one I made was 1/4" wall tubing but it was too over strength. We will see. If it needs it I'll make a new one.

Looks good John but why would you want to replace the 2 speed? looks like a nice little unit
Great question Jeep and it's one I get often. Well, there are several reasons.
1. This one is leaking oil and needs the seals replaced. You have to remove it or the engine to put oil in it. The filler cap is right under the gas tank. Right now I want to ride it not work on it. Bearings take Lube Grease not oil.
2. These 2 speed transmissions have 2 speeds. Granny Max 15 mph. and OD up to 42 mph. The OD I don't mind but takes away from power in the lower end. Granny gives more power climbing hills but you have to stop to shift gears when you get to the top of the hill.
3. You are always in Granny or OverDrive so you loose a lot of mid range power.
4. Removing the transmission and replacing it with a jackshaft gives more power throughout the operating range. I will keep it and replace the seals someday incase I ever want to use it again. I wish you could shift it on the fly but the manual says you must be fully stopped before shifting or you will damage it (No Synchros in it). Otherwise I would rig up a foot shifter for it. Even if I had a manual clutch on the scooter the rear wheel would keep the output shaft turning as long as the scooter is moving.
5. A jackshaft keeps me from having to change the sprokets to keep them on the proper side and keeps the chain shorter and higher so it doesn't hit the frame.

So that is why I am going to replace it with a jack shaft. Thanks for the great question.

Keep on puttin' :scooter: