How to fix a loose choke slide on Briggs carb

I'm a new guy on here so I figured I'd try and offer a little tech to maybe help some folks out.

I've read on here where some guys are struggling with loose choke slides on these carbs. Some even replaced the whole carb with a different setup just because of this issue.

As you probably know, the choke barrel slides in and out with a pull tab on the end of the carb. Over time due to corrosion or just wear, the slide gets so it slides way too easy and leaves you with a situation where you can't trust the choke to stay where to set it, either open or closed.

If you look on the bottom of the carb body, you will see the head of a brad or rivet. First step to repair the issue is to remove the air cleaner and use a small pin punch and hammer to knock the old rivet out of the carb body.

The choke barrel is now free to slide out so you can clean it. My engine had sat in a gravel pit in mud for 14 years so the carb was completely full to the top with silt. It took me a good while to get this thing back in good condition.

Once clean, insert the choke barrel back into the carb. Now, replace the factory rivet with an 1/8 inch pop rivet. As you set the pop rivet with the gun, it will swell and form a bulge. The bulge is just enough to add friction to the choke slide and tighten it up as good, or better, than new.

That's it. Repaired and ready for another 30 years of use.

Last edited:

cxbra

What about rigging it up to a rubber band, wrapped around the carb and holding the choke off? Then when you need to start, take off the rubber band to get the choke (or hold the choke open w/ the rubber band on it). Sounds like a plan to me :thumbsup:

choke slide

Hi, I have a BS with this type of choke. The tab broke off and I am looking for a new one but can't find it anywhere. Do you know anywhere I might be able to buy this choke slide?

oldfatguy

Hi, I have a BS with this type of choke. The tab broke off and I am looking for a new one but can't find it anywhere. Do you know anywhere I might be able to buy this choke slide?
I don't know if the part is available new by itself. Someone might have a junk carb that you can take the choke out of. try posting in the parts wanted section for one. The easiest fix would be to drill and tap the back of it to take a bolt that you can use for a handle to pull the choke in and out.