how to hook up a tach

Hi there
i bought a tach for my mini bike. I hooked up the power and i know that is working. But i dont know where to hook up the signal wire. i tried the spark plug but the boot didn't go down all the way with the signal wire in the way. what should i do

chrisr

Some of the tach hookups are just inductive in that you wrap the wire a few times around your spark plug wire and to keep it coiled I just use a ty-rap.

If it has a power wire it more than likely won't work with a small engine without a powered coil system.

Post a pic of it or a link and we can tell you for sure.

chrisr

The tach instructions look to be for a two cylinder with a coil that has a hot and negative lead. If you have twin cylinder engine with a external coil, the tach leads (green wire) goes to the negative side of the coil and the positive lead on the coil goes to the ignition switch. If you have light switch, the light lead of the tach would go to the light switch and ground for the tach.

Nothing "special" about a 212. With that said, what is it that your are buying that doesn't work? I bypassed the typical ebay crap and went for the typical google-search crap and installed this-
20160514_130659.jpg

I've used tach's like that on a number of my bikes. I use cobbed together laptop batteries for power and hook up the distributor wire to the coil side of the kill switch. Not sure if yours is the same but being as our coil fires every revolution a normal two cylinder distributor will also fire every revolution. Give it a try. P1030477.JPG