how to remove jackshaft w/o breaking anything

I have a Couparral Tony Pony minibike and it has a jackshaft on it that I want to remove to paint the frame. I've never removed one of these and I don't want to screw it up (it works great). Any advise on this. I can see the bolts holding it to the frame, but do i need to drive the shaft through to get it out?

Attachments

Don't attempt to drive the shaft out while it's on the bike. The rust will prevent you (most likely) from doing anything other than damaging the driven, and the shaft.

Instead, remove the entire assembly at the bearing hangers and should give you enough room to wiggle out the assembly. After that, you will have to remove the rust, and maybe even soak the sprocket and driven in oil at the shaft. You may even have to cut the shaft to get that driven out.

I cant tell which drive system you have. You may end up having to go with a modern TAV (Comet) on a new shaft. That has been my experience with removing old TAV systems like Cat 99. That is a cool bike. Do you have the engine for it?

As Dave has correctly stated, unbolt the entire assembly (looks like 2 bolts on each side?) and soak the entire thing in "Evaporust" for a couple of days. Even after that you will need to take care during disassembly with a gentle tap-tap side-to-side to free up bearings, sprockets, and the T.C. driven. Then you can clean everything up real good.Take good photos before and during your assembly of the various jackshaft components before and as you go, including the T.C. driven so you can reference them when you put it all back together.
Michael

Start spraying it with penetrant like was said, to me it looks like there are locking collars on that shaft, you might have to move them inboard a little to get the shaft out. They could also be carefully cut off the shaft if necessary but hopefully it won't come to that.
You could sand some of that rust off the shaft too

Great feedback! Thanks
I don't have the original engine for it. I did have one, but sold it a few years back to free up cash for something else. This one has an old Clinton 404 engine. Has been sitting for 12 years. Going to put the Clinton back on it when done painting.

looks like a left hand cc rotating 820 west bend engine you could get that from usmotorpower.......on the tacos I just cut the jackshaft apart and press the gears and collars off and put a new shaft and bearings ect on

That is a strange design. They make you take it all apart to change the belt...
Anyway, yes it looks like the bearings have eccentric locking collars on them. You need to loosen the set screw then put a skinny drift punch in the small unthreaded hole and hit it with a hammer. You want to turn the collar on the shaft to release it from the bearing. Here is video to get an idea of what I'm talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07YCjsFz2R0

Danford1