How to remove old Tires??

I passed on using original wheels on my STELLAR build and bought some cheap ones off ebay. wished I didn't. Is there an easy way to remove OLD Tires from rims. I am having trouble!! The tires seem to be stuck to the rim?? Any Help would be nice:thumbsup:

first put soapy water or wd40 or something equivalent to that on the bead and then stand on the tire around to bead and use a flate blade screwdriver and push were the tire is on the old rim while still standing on the tire that should do it and make sure its all the way flat it always werks for me :thumbsup:

working them with a screwdriver has always done it for me. be careful not to stab yourself though.

you are talking about 2 piece wheels right?

kbs8ball

I spent over an hour trying to remove a carlisle indian head tire from an old bonanza MX rim...those tires have a steel cable in the tire that is right up against the rim...only way I got mine off was to cut the cable, without damaging the rim of course. GOOD LUCK I remember that thing pissin me off big time. I even had the thing mashed in a large vice.

Rusted rims

I have had to cut old tires off rims that were rusted inside and under the bead. I cut through the sidewall and removed most including the tread. Then I had to chew throught the steel cables in the bead using biting pliers to get the rest free. Only took a half hour per tire...

Yeah I have beat on them and such. My next choice was the grinder:grind::hack: Made since to me good thing to see someone else do that also. Maybe the:weld:LOL

I had some atc 110 split rims that the tires did not want to come off. I used a propane torch and heated the metal lip of the rim carefully so not to wrap them and used my tire irons to get the tire off, It toke a while,but work. Then I had to wire wheel down the rims after i was done They were in need of repainting anyways. I guess this might not be good on aluminum rims.

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took a Hand Saw the kind that you prune thick tree limbs with. I cut a 4" to 5" gap out of the tire. Pulled ot the Tube. Cleaned up all the water that came out.:wink: then I took my angle grinder:grind: and carefully, at an angle cut through the Wire Bead. Once I was through the tire came right off!!!!!!!! It actually only took about 20 min max.:thumbsup:

Yeah some are so rusted to the rim they need to be cut.

Also never use a screw driver, get something wider and smooth like tire changing tools. You can find them cheap and two or three are even better.

WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula.

Some things I have used work better:wink:

Kroil/AeroKroil KanoLabs.com
Loosens Frozen Metal Parts!
An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Quickly loosens
rusted nuts and bolts - frees frozen shafts, pulleys, etc. Penetrates to 1
millionth inch spaces, dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust.
Displaces moisture. The oil that creeps. Used by 480 of the Fortune
500 companies!

ZEP 45 http://www.zep.com/products/products.aspx?CatalogMode=1&CategoryID=3&SearchTerm=zep 45
TYPE :
Penetrating Lubricant Containing PTFE PROD.# 0174
BENEFITS : Zep 45 is an aerosol penetrating lubricant fortified with friction-reducing substances, and a fluorotelomer dispersion. Zep 45 penetrates rapidly to loosen parts that are frozen due to wear, corrosion, and heavy grease or grime build-up. Zep 45 provides excellent and long lasting lubrication to moving parts. Micron size particles work like thousands of tiny ball bearings to dramatically reduce friction and wear. Zep 45 deposits a protective film to retard corrosion, prolong the life of machinery, and reduce down-time. The solvent action of Zep 45 removes accumulations of grease and grime from surfaces to allow contact with the lubricating, protective film. The lubricating film remains effective over a wide temperature range (from minus 55 degrees Fahrenheit to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.). Zep 45 is excellent for use on industrial machines, business machines, motor shafts, guns, sports equipment, shop tools, saws and drills, electric motors, vending machines, locks, hinges, rollers bearings, conveyors, pulleys, nuts and bolts, all rusted and corroded parts. Use on any surface that slips, slides, rubs, rolls, moves, turns, twists, or pivots.

Larry

Why not spend $27 dollars and buy a product that will last a lifetime and will make it a snap. Really good if you do allot of tires, correct term for a tool that gets stuck tires of rim is "Bead breaker". If you're having allot of trouble and your rims are split rim type. Take out all bolts, put a tire spoon on one side and give it a good push against the rim, this will take the side your pushing against off and tire will come off easy.

Here is a good bead breaker and the one that I was talking about.
RLV Tire Bead Breaker