HS50 valve clearance

I was looking at a pdf of an old Tecumseh manual and it called for .004" valve lash on the intake and .010" on the exhaust. Is this right? Seems like a lot on the exhaust side.

Just MAYBE they meant to put .004-.010. Reason I say is when it comes to setting lash on these "Dead Nuts" at whatever the number is NOT going to happen. The design just doesn't allow it.

Every Tecumseh manual that I have ever seen specs an HS50 at .004" - .008" which is a RANGE for BOTH INTAKE and EXHAUST.
Michael

The 1998 3-11 HP book lists a range of .004 to .010.
Dave is correct for "Standard Point Ignition" only.
For "Solid State" (electronic) ignition it IS .004" to .008"
The point is these are the same ranges for BOTH valves. Unlike B & S, Tecumseh does not have different intake and exhaust valve specs.
Michael

Dave is correct for "Standard Point Ignition" only.
For "Solid State" (electronic) ignition it IS .004" to .008"
The point is these are the same ranges for BOTH valves. Unlike B & S, Tecumseh does not have different intake and exhaust valve specs.
Michael
Thanks for clarifying that Michael. So far, that's the only one's I have done, so I didn't check ss.

Now that I've exhausted my Tec knowledge, I'm outta here. :laugh::laugh:

This is a points motor.

Thanks for the replies.

I did look back at the pdf and it is the .004-.010" range for both valves. I ended up grinding a bit more than I wanted to and have .006" on both valves...

All stock motor with governor, so not racing it.