HS50 Won't Start

I've checked through a bunch of threads here and still can't get this thing running. It's a newer model HS50 without points. It has been sitting outside for a while and the carb was seized up. It had good compression and spark, so I figured I could just throw another carb on and it would fire right up. Wrong! Tried spraying starter fluid in and it won't fire. Pulled off the side cover and cleaned off the coil and flywheel magnets. Still no go. Read about someone having a sheared off flywheel key, so I took it apart and it was fine. I can't figure out how I can get plenty of spark, but this thing still won't fire. Any other ideas?

try a different plug . it seem stupid but i have had lot of weird shit happen over bad plugs that fire fine out side the block but not in it:shrug: .

remove the air filter and pour a table spoon of petrol down the carb and try and start it, if it's got compression and plenty of spark then it will run for a few seconds.

It's getting fuel. I have already tried removing the plug and spraying starter fluid in and it still would not fire. I pulled it with the plug out to see if the spark was coming out the bottom of the plug and it was clearly visible in daylight, so I can't understand how it won't fire the starter fluid. I also forgot to mention that I tried a different flywheel after reading the magnets lose attraction, but same result. I reset the gap between the coil and flywheel magnets too. :confused::confused::confused:

Are you sure your are getting full compression. If its bleeding off just prior to ignition it will never fire. You have the 3 items necessary for the motor to run but not in the right quanity. Why was the motor removed from its platform in the first place and how long was it sitting outside?

Sieve

If it is making a poping sound this is what to do... When looking strait down on the engine twist the cap that goes over the S plug clockwize.

The motor is still on the bike, but I have no idea how long it's been outside. Guy told me he got bike about a year ago and he got it running then. How do I know if I'm getting full compression? I'll try twisting the spark plug cap too. Thanks

ok cheap old school comp test take the recoil shroud off , take the plug wire and remove it from the plug and ground it to the block . turn the fly wheel to where you hit the compression stroke . now flick it try to spin it over the compression . watch fingers , if you have good compression it will rebound about a half turn . if it dont rebound or its very little you have crap compression . you can put a small amount of oil in the cylinder and turn it over(plug out ) a few times to spread it and try again if compression improves you have a ring problem if it dont your valves need work . note the oil wont help if you have a bad head gasket .

Well I'm an idiot. I thought if it has any type of resistance when you tried to pull start it, then it had good compression:confused:. I tried the stuff above and the flywheel never kicked back at all. So I guess I have bad/no compression:angry: I guess I'll try pulling it apart and see what the problem is.

Well I'm an idiot. I thought if it has any type of resistance when you tried to pull start it, then it had good compression:confused:. I tried the stuff above and the flywheel never kicked back at all. So I guess I have bad/no compression:angry: I guess I'll try pulling it apart and see what the problem is.
well ya learn ,and then ya know better next time . i would pull the head and check the valves they may be full of crap or maybe sticking .

Finally got around to pulling this apart and found the intake valve was stuck. Decided to pull the rest of the motor apart and found lots of stuff on the bottom. Looks like most or all is from the governor. How do I get the gov. out of the side cover? I don't see any clips or snap rings. Is the some trick to it?

try resetting the cam if necessary to TDC on the intake valve.. inspect your camshaft marks to see if they line up!..if the marks are are not lined up on the cam & crankshaft ! take the cam out and reconnect the two marks face to face at TOP DEAD CENTER on the intake stroke this will time the spark you have for timming & engine fire.... good luck....:thumbsup: