Humble '68 Tecumseh snowblower engine turns to a life of speed

Behold!

Look at that sexy beeotch!

With its MinibikePaul water transfer decal n such...

Yeah, it may be too bright a white but thats ok.

I likes it.

Anyway, in all seriousness, what do you guys do with that polar arctic white, just put it on the blower housing? Because its not engine paint and id think the blower housing doesnt get as hot as the rest of the motor. Then what do you put on the engine proper that kind of blends in with it?

Anyway, in all seriousness, what do you guys do with that polar arctic white, just put it on the blower housing? Because its not engine paint and id think the blower housing doesnt get as hot as the rest of the motor. Then what do you put on the engine proper that kind of blends in with it?
You don't need "engine paint" on any part of that engine. Basic rattle can is fine, although I haven't looked for GM's Arctic White aerosol spray paint.

Of course when you spill any gas on it, it will remove the paint, so I use clear urethane two part over rattle can appliance white, with an interim coat of clear and white pearl.

Nothing is going to blend in with the old white paint, unless you set the engine down at the parts counter and have it spectrum rectumized and some automotive paint mixed. Even then, it won't match perfectly. Best to do it all in arctic white, then clear coat it.

That tank should look familiar to you.

P37.JPG

have it spectrum rectumized
G-G-G-G-G-Go on, you SAVAGE!

Heehee

So you don't need engine enamel on these engines? This is actually good because I've done a few with regular Duplicolor and thought when I fire em up theys gonna peel. Then I've been using clear coat. The kind for wheels. Can't see it at all. I used another Duplicolor kind recently on some tanks and its got a yellowish filmy look that I'm going to have to sand off.

Yes love what you did with the tank! Do you know I counted them the other night. I've got 14 of those vertical seams jobs. I only need a couple as most of my bikes are frame tank bikes (MTD, Toyoco, Sears Roper, Rupp). So if you need more let me know.

This is actually good because I've done a few with regular Duplicolor and thought when I fire em up theys gonna peel. Then I've been using clear coat. The kind for wheels. Can't see it at all. I used another Duplicolor kind recently on some tanks and its got a yellowish filmy look that I'm going to have to sand off.
They'll peel because you will spill or leak fuel on that paint. By clear coat, I mean two part urethane that you spray, not that stuff that comes in spray paint cans. That ought to be illegal to sell, it's shit. If it stays on long enough, it yellows. But it usually doesn't stay on long enough. It is good if you want to dull your rattle can paint job I suppose.

I would never use rattle can on anything mini bike without clear coating with urethane. Thanks on the tank. This was the only one needed for the Powell. I'm sticking with two strokes for awhile.

They'll peel because you will spill or leak fuel on that paint. By clear coat, I mean two part urethane that you spray, not that stuff that comes in spray paint cans. That ought to be illegal to sell, it's shit. If it stays on long enough, it yellows. But it usually doesn't stay on long enough. It is good if you want to dull your rattle can paint job I suppose.

I would never use rattle can on anything mini bike without clear coating with urethane. Thanks on the tank. This was the only one needed for the Powell. I'm sticking with two strokes for awhile.
What if I'm really careful to pour the gas and never ride the bike so it doesn't spill? HAHA.

OK so you've tweeked my interest on this Urinethane stuff. You spray it with a compressor and paint sprayer thingy?

capguncowboy

You can pick up a 2k urethane in a rattle can. Eastwood sells a 12oz can for about $25. The best part is that it's extremely easy to spray. The downside is that once it's activated (mixed), you only have about 48 hours before it hardens in the can.

You can pick up a 2k urethane in a rattle can. Eastwood sells a 12oz can for about $25. The best part is that it's extremely easy to spray. The downside is that once it's activated (mixed), you only have about 48 hours before it hardens in the can.
Oh I don't woory about left overs. When I'm done painting I usually just drink it.

And you said hardens in the can...

Ahoooooogah!

What if I'm really careful to pour the gas and never ride the bike so it doesn't spill? HAHA.

OK so you've tweeked my interest on this Urinethane stuff. You spray it with a compressor and paint sprayer thingy?
Yep. I've posted several links in the past to rattle can premix stuff. It would work in a pinch for fuel proofing, and from some photos I've seen it looks "OK" but the quality of the finish is nothing like what anyone can do out of a paint gun.

It's just another aspect of the hobby that doesn't cost too much to get into, and brings a lot of rewards once you do. Changes the game. No more powder coating, no more paint peeling from gas tank cap threads, and the frame beneath leaky Tecumseh carbonators.

Consider that it costs $25 a can. After 3 cans, you could have purchased a really nice paint gun. Four more cans and you have enough air compressor, and then some. (used)

Even going to a professional quality enamel instead of hardware store enamel will drastically improve chemical resistance. Many auto body stores will make spray cans, but prices (and their willingness to do it) varies wildly.