Hurricane Sandy

buckeye

Well, last time we were hit,Katrina, no power for 10 days.
You actually are surprised how pleasant life is without the distractions. You actually have to talk to your wife. Or husband or yourself.:laugh:
It really isn't that bad. Just inconvienent. The biggest pain in the butt is gas. No electricity, no gas.

Just got home from work. no power!!!!
That stinks :doah: I got a call from work and still no power there, looks like no work again tomorrow (get paid anyway) :thumbsup: Good thing, our carpenter came over today to install a new exterior door in our family room and it has lots of water and ant damage :doah: but thats for a thread of its own :wink:

Well, last time we were hit,Katrina, no power for 10 days.
You actually are surprised how pleasant life is without the distractions. You actually have to talk to your wife. Or husband or yourself.:laugh:
It really isn't that bad. Just inconvienent. The biggest pain in the butt is gas. No electricity, no gas.
I remember when stuart florida took 3 direct hits one year not only did we need electricity it get gas but we also need a working data line for the computers or the pumps wouldnt work either:blink: I think the world has made them selfs way to dependant on computers

I remember when stuart florida took 3 direct hits one year not only did we need electricity it get gas but we also need a working data line for the computers or the pumps wouldnt work either:blink: I think the world has made them selfs way to dependant on computers
The days of not being dependent on computers is loooong gone. Its only gonna get worse. The rushing Technology train will never stop....or slow down. I for one would love for things to go back the 40's era. Just empty wishes though.

The days of not being dependent on computers is loooong gone. Its only gonna get worse. The rushing Technology train will never stop....or slow down. I for one would love for things to go back the 40's era. Just empty wishes though.
Its been a very long time since we had a solar storm with any real snap too it.

But the weak ones of recent years have still managed to cause me some grief.
Generaly the burn out my flash arrestors and pop the ocational stress cone.
These are easy fixes.

The big one will burn insualtors right off the poles....
Punch holes in the insulation on motors and generators....
Turn transformer to scrap....

And best of all, it will kill computers.
LOTS and LOTS of them.

I say this with a lot of glee in my heart because the amnount of data destroyed will be absolutely mind blowing.
Good by banks and stock exchanges.
So long morgages.
Bye bye inventory files and all the bull shit stored on servers.

OK not all will be lost, but people are stupid and don;t keep protected back ups or hard coppies of much.
And the real people it will hurt is not you and I ( if you still have an RRSP worth investing in then I might worry. keep something on paper to prove what you own ).

And in the mean time I will have years of work ahead of me repairing the damaged infrastructure.
The lost Data however is not my problem

Solar Flare 2012 - YouTube

Well just got to my 92 year old aunts house in bayonne,nj. Almost 5 feet of water in her basement. Every thing got thrownout from photo albums to her piano. Her brand new cadilac totaled ffrom flooding. God bless her. And belive it or not shes calm as can be:) :)

jrzmac

Well just got to my 92 year old aunts house in bayonne,nj. Almost 5 feet of water in her basement. Every thing got thrownout from photo albums to her piano. Her brand new cadilac totaled ffrom flooding. God bless her. And belive it or not shes calm as can be:) :)
I work in Bayonne... is she Italian by any chance?? the store I work at is still without power... running on a generator!! I think the reason the devastation aint as bad as Katrina, is because a lot of these houses down the shore along the coast are summer homes... and most were empty. theres a few die hards that live it all year round, like my godmother. she lived 2 blocks from the beach in Seaside Park. she tried to get to her house the other day, they told maybe in 6 months. all the houses on the island got ripped off their foundations, and there were like 1,000 gas leaks. they cut the gas to the island, but still wont let anybody go in. I think theres a lot of looting going on also. a lot of the really nice mansions that were right on the water go destroyed.. the animals down there are ripping the copper pipes out of the walls....here's a state trooper video. the town of Mantaloking next to Seaside is basically gone. the surge actually made another inlet on the island. the bay is meeting the ocean at one point, it nuts!!!!

Sandy's aftermath on NJ's barrier island - YouTube

buckeye

The power of wind and water is amazing.
Things as they were known will never be the same.
And the emotional effects will be long lasting.
People who haven't been through it don't understand.
Sorry for all who have to experience this devistation.
I know what it's like and sit on pins and needles every summer wondering if this is the year we get hit.
There is nothing you can do to prepare yourself for the aftermath.

ELT

I went down last Tuesday to run pumps. We took a dozen 8" and 6" pumps. Got home at 3am last saturday. Worked in lower Manhatten, or tried to. Biggest clusterf--k I have ever seen. We were sent to work for the 1% not the real people that realy hurt.

jrzmac

I went down last Tuesday to run pumps. We took a dozen 8" and 6" pumps. Got home at 3am last saturday. Worked in lower Manhatten, or tried to. Biggest clusterf--k I have ever seen. We were sent to work for the 1% not the real people that realy hurt.
lotta shit going on over there in NYC right now!!! they're about to can LIPA and everyone that works for it! nobody knows what to do over there?? you have people from all over the country helping out around there, and nobody is being told what to do? I've seen trucks from Arkansas, Mississippi, Mass... all over, and I hear that guys are just standing around waiting for orders, that nobodies giving!!! say what you want about him but, Gov. Christie has been great thru this whole thing! they finally put the gas order into effect over there, a week after he did it in NJ???? fkn people are pissed over there right now boy! you still have a ton of people sitting in the dark... most are just from downed lines that can be easily fixed with the manpower that have over there, just nobody seems like they're in charge or giving people orders on what to do....what a mess!!!! at least most of the power is back on in Jersey, and the gas seems to be working out now. only have to wait about 20 - 30 minutes now... at first it was 2 to 3 hours!!!!

buckeye

Wow, feeling your pain. Been thru it multiple times.
The only difference here is we have a lot less people. I cannot imagine the mess it must be!:shrug:

ELT

A fellow worker who is in law enfocement was down for his shift. He talked with a fellow there from texas. He was a mechanic with a power company. They were sending him home because he was a non union worker. There are times to worry about union stuff and there are times to just get the job done.