I searched the internet and found NOTHING!

Jamie1972

Can anyone tell me the base line settings for a tecumseh 3hp carb.? The engine is in good running cond. the carb has been diassembled and cleaned. I need to know the idle screw, air/fuel mixture screw and wide open throttle screw on the bottom of the bowl settings.

Thanks!
OH...Im on a go-Kart and im a 185 lbs. :)

Jamie1972

Problem is she "Screams like an Eagle" down the alley until I come back then when I give it throttle it wants to die out. Off throttle..it idles. So that makes me think not enough fuel. So I turn the bowl screw out half at a time and does not seem to make a dif. Maybe Chad you can stop down and check it out and give me your opinion before fall/winter hits!?

Jamie1972

Ok. Chad. As for Buckeye...I believe so? I suppose dirt or foreign material is pos. maybe I'll take off the fuel filter and see how she go's....

If it won't act right it might because it's under a load and and can't burn what it's getting with the motor restricted in rpms, OR not pulling what it wants because the motor can't wind out..

I like to get them basic settings with no chain on the machine, so it just sounds like engine, then use my fingers right on the carb to make my speed adjustments....

I'll set my high speed fuel so it goes from 1/2 open running speed, to wide open screaming, then back down to pretty high idle, then back to screaming...

Then idle it down.. start messing with my idle fuel.. screw it out till it starts loading up... OOPS... screw it back in a little till it starts cleaning out and building rpms... BUT NOT TOO MUCH so that it ends up so lean it won't start easy...

Then run it back up to wide open and back down...

try running it at JUST BARELY over an idle... if it idles good, winds out good, but won't go JUST over idle, one of the two are a little too rich.. probably main...

I use 1.5 turns each JUST long enough to start the engine the first time... From there I use whatever sounds the best... If the engine doesn't low idle, and SNAP RIGHT UP to high rpms.. then hum on and work it's way back down to a nice low idle, something is wrong....

Then you know it's right as it's gonna be.... Then from there you can change your settings as you ride.... Crack it wide open, wait till the clutch is good and tight and you are building speed, (I can give it just a little more fuel for power) until the engine is screaming... (Well, I guess I can lean it back out)......

(Ope, it's cold as hell tonight.. Making MASSIVE POWER and too cold to deal with a wind chill.... Maybe I'll just set the cruise control to 35 and lean it to the max so each pop of the exhaust sounds like a firecracker and I'm getting 186 miles per gallon) :shrug:

It is never ever exactly perfect... You can make it base perfect as possible... But the speed you want to run.. the way you want to accelerate, the temperature and barometric pressure that day..... all are changing factors in EXACT EXACTLY where the screw should be at that exact moment in history... :mellow:

Thats why cars have a computerized fuel injection.. :laugh: