Identifying West Bend Power Bee engines

I have an old West Bend engine, I believe it's a 580 or a 700, I can't find any markings that would tell me which it is, It is missing its fan shroud but is otherwise working, the only number I could find was #2703038 on the cast aluminium base pan where the fan shroud would go, I don't think this number though will identify the engine for me, where should I expect to find the number that will identify the engine?

Kenny1

I was looking to put a 700 on a bike of mine but was having trouble finding one. I called Power Products and talked to their outside sales rep. He couldn't help me but gave me a number to an old timer that build and raced them back in the day. This guy told me that even he could not tell the difference between a 580 and 700 without taking it apart to see what was inside.

I was looking to put a 700 on a bike of mine but was having trouble finding one. I called Power Products and talked to their outside sales rep. He couldn't help me but gave me a number to an old timer that build and raced them back in the day. This guy told me that even he could not tell the difference between a 580 and 700 without taking it apart to see what was inside.
According to a vintage kart website they had 5 digit serial numbers that started with 500, 580, 700 etc but I couldn't find it, I don't suppose I actually need to find out since the fan shroud I'm missing is apparently common to all three models anyway.

I have an older 2-stroke West Bend engine that I would like to identify.

I have been looking for a site that would help me ID it but haven't had any luck yet.

I would appreciate any links that might help.

Thanks

I also have a West bend 580 power bee Engine- Looking for a 9/16" clutch and side mount for my MB project. any suggestions. Thanks, bill1

Kenny1- Try contacting Frank at Poohruth@aol.com. I found him on ebay and he is A+ rated. He is custom building me a rare early 60's NOS WB700 modified with a big tilo carb and yes there are engine mounts and 9/16th clutches still available. He has collecting Wb's for over twenty years and he is great to work with. I am expecting my vintage 700 to be a real screamer. I know he has a real nice 580 hardly used in stock and a 820 which is just too crazy to put on any MB. I will post pix when its comes - mid December. Nothing is more fun than a vintage 2 cycle engine on a MB. Bill1

Nothing is more fun than a vintage 2 cycle engine on a MB. Bill1
YA but a WestBend?
They were never a realy good motor like MAC. Inrfact I would take a Clinton with a forged steel rod/needle bearing from a Vintge saw long before I ,ess with any more the of the Westbend

The round barrel 580 WB engines have a cast iron/steel sleeve, whereas the 510/645/700 round barrel engines are chrome bore.An easy way to tell is remove the exhaust and look thru the ports at the back cylinder wall...with a flashlite.Crosshatch on a cast iron,reflection from the lite on a chrome bore.(The 610/820 square barrel models are the same way..........610's have a cast iron/steel liner,whereas the 820's have chrome bore).
Downside of chrome bore is it can flake,no oversizing,and expensive to re-chrome.Upside is it's tough as hell,and lasts a long time if it doesn't sieze/overheat.
regards,Joel

Old school- Always wanted one since I remember seeing them as a kid. I get your point on the mac's, I think the WB will be ok. I do have a 5hp flat head 79 briggs I am working on too - new rings, different carb, solid state ignition. Thanks for your feedback. Bill1

looking for any info on a chrysler 500 2 stroke I found a NOS motor in the box never ran before and interested in any manuals or info on this motor

Elheffe, 2 inch bore, 1-19/32 inch stroke, chrome bore, 5 cubic inches. They came in two configurations, loop scavenged and cross scavenged (model 50052 and 50054). If the carburetor is on the bottom of the crankcase it is loop scavenged, carburetor mounted on the cylinder it is cross scavenged. They were rated at 4.25 HP. They were not made for to many years. They were used in the rookie class (karts) but were not too successful. and industrial applications, (chain saws, generators etc.)
They have an aluminum rod with needle bearings on the crank pin and wrist pin, the mains use ball bearings. The crankcase is magnesium, the cylinder is aluminum with an integral cylinder head.