idle problem

i have the 6.5 upgrade, it ran good with the gov in and it runs great with it out but if i dont have the throttle just cracked a little while sitting still it wants to shut off. even while it being hot. i dont know if it is a throttle adjustment i need to do or if the carb is to rich. what is your opinion?:doah:

My problem is just the opposite, I can't get the throttle to back down, and that screw is the only adjustment on the carb. Still working on the throttle linkage.

My problem is just the opposite, I can't get the throttle to back down, and that screw is the only adjustment on the carb. Still working on the throttle linkage.
on my 5.5 carb there was a little screw adjuster that the plastic throttle thing would rest against. make sure that's screwed all the way out. if it's not, the throttle might not be closing all the way.

if Motra is talking about the same one as me, well i'm dumb. at least i provided a pic. :thefinger:

I've screwed that sucker in as far as it goes. There might be something in my linkage (AGK style set-up) that is keeping it from closing all of the way. I'll play with the Dremel tomorrow and strip it down a bit. Got a box of springs at HF tonight, just in case.

Strigoi,

I see how you have your link set to the throttle, but I don't see your cable (must be off the bike). How do you attach the throttle cable to the linkage? Yours is much cleaner than mine, as I still have all that crap that attached to the actual lever, including the lever.

fonz

This may sound stupid and off the wall but I had a similar problem with my throttle failing to back down. It took a while to figure it out, but the culprit was the Handle grip throttle The DB30 throttle grip is built cheap as h*ll. It's got a removable plastic retaining clip inside that can wear out and the cable can easily get miss aligned on it's track or hung up. It's easy to check and reassemble. If all else fails on the engine linkage, check the hand throttle. I ordered two replacements from Baja just yesterday. About 6 bucks each. I'm open to any suggestions on a better made hand throttle from any of the other suppliers if you guys have a recommendation.

p.s. My HF clone has two screws for the carb. One for mixture and the other for idle speed.I believe some of the clones only have one.

Last edited:
I've screwed that sucker in as far as it goes. There might be something in my linkage (AGK style set-up) that is keeping it from closing all of the way. I'll play with the Dremel tomorrow and strip it down a bit. Got a box of springs at HF tonight, just in case.

Strigoi,

I see how you have your link set to the throttle, but I don't see your cable (must be off the bike). How do you attach the throttle cable to the linkage? Yours is much cleaner than mine, as I still have all that crap that attached to the actual lever, including the lever.
ghetto, but it worked fine.

that black screw that i have circled needs to be screwed out. if you have it screwed in, it won't let the throttle close all the way.

Baja Doodlebug throttle/carb linkage problem

I'm having a problem with my New Baja Doodlebug. The carb linkage seemed to be stuck at the grip or at least the 2nd day out the throttle would'nt move on the grip. It eventually moved but in the process the springs for the linkage popped off. After putting them back on, and I checked one at the store to make sure they went back where they were suppose to I ran into this problem. The arm from the linkage that goes to the carb, the little black plastic piece by the idle adjuster screw now stays full open, no matter how I move the throttle it's wide open. It will move freely but no movement by the grip throttle. What did I do wrong or is there something broken or stuck, any suggestions. It's the stock 2.8 on . Any info would be appreciated. :sadcrying4: