Indian Mini to Adult Size Mini

I have had an Indian Mini Mini with factory sidecar for about 20 years, my kids grew up riding it and now my grandkids are giving it a go. But it is just too small for any adult to ride. A few years ago I found a parts bike in a MC junkyard and bought it for spare parts. I have now decided to make it into an adult size minibike that I can ride, why should the kids have all the fun? Below are pictures of what I started with. I would like to add that I have been collecting and restoring antique motorcycles for about 30 years and have a few home builds that I will show along the way of this build. Enjoy.....

OK, get the porta band out it's time to start cutting..I had some spare time over the week end so I got started.
I found some 10" shocks to put on the bike to replace the 8" ones so the first thing to do was to lengthen the down tube 2" so the swing arm stays level and I won't have any trouble down the road with the chain. This also rises the bike 2" which is an improvement for my 6' frame. Next was to lengthen the frame and rake it out for the longer front end. I lengthen it 7" on the top bar and cut out about 1/4" out of the top to change the rake. The frame started out to be a small 20 degree rake but now it is a better 32 degrees. May not work better but sure does look cooler. Next I need to decide and find the motor I want to use before I can complete the engine compartment.

You can see the improvement in the rake, length, and height of the frame as compared to the original Mini. Hopefully this will be enough for any adult to ride. I'm hoping for an 8 or 10 HP motor to install, after all it is for the BIG boys to ride....Next up, I have a seat and gas tank in mind I'll tinker with them and take some pictures...

Indian

You can see the improvement in the rake, length, and height of the frame as compared to the original Mini. Hopefully this will be enough for any adult to ride. I'm hoping for an 8 or 10 HP motor to install, after all it is for the BIG boys to ride....Next up, I have a seat and gas tank in mind I'll tinker with them and take some pictures...
Buy my 1974 Indian SE-74 for $600.00 and ride a real classic machine
Steve :scooter:

Indian "Midi"

New bars and risers anyone? Yesterday I got out in the heat and made the risers and bars. It has been over 100 degrees the last four days but yesterday it cooled down to 95. The bars need tacked on to the risers at the right angle and then final welding, I'll also weld on a support piece over to the steering head like the original bars have.

The real deal Indian

I guess the picture link would help......duh
Hello Louie MC man : You have the real deal there for sure. I remember as a boy seeing one up close and just loved the front fenders light and the inexpressive massive size of the bike and the great rumbling sound when it took off. Steve:scooter:

Thanks Steve. That picture was at our long time Harley dealers funeral. I rode the Indian in the precession and used the Harley tie to wipe up any oil off the Indian.....

Thanks Steve. That picture was at our long time Harley dealers funeral. I rode the Indian in the precession and used the Harley tie to wipe up any oil off the Indian.....
:thumbsup: People are silly for those Harleys but I say most any OTHER American maker was a better machine.. Harley bought Indian out and did away with it because they knew it would be the end for them.. Indian, Henderson, Matchless, Excelsior... all bad as old bikes.. :scooter:

Well Restore Kid I won't get into the Indian Harley wars or any other. I have some of both and some others also. My feelings are that every bike has it's flaws, be it engine ,trany, suspension, or what ever. I like them all and want one of everything! My ambitions are only squished by my total lack of finances. That is why I'm posting here as well as the motor bicycle forums, who can afford any antique motorcycles these days? So I tinker with what I have laying around the garage...check out the link below, it's a TV spot advertising the AMCA meet we had in Denton, NC a few weeks ago. It shows one of my antique Harleys in action...enjoy.

Antique motorcycle meet underway in Denton - News14.com

Indian "MIDI"

Started working on motor compartment although I don't have a motor yet. Can someone tell me then mounting dimensions of a 5 HP B&S? How about an 8 HP? All I have to go by is a 3HP. Thanks.

from the back of the motor (by the gas tank) to the front hole to hole its about 6 1/2 inches long. and from side to side its aroun 4 1/4 (somewere inbetwine 4 inches and 4 1/4) hope this helps

Den

Your bike are amazing. I have the same bike and have had it for 25 years. I am trying to find out what year make and model this is and to find out if there is any parts available. Thanks for your time . Any help is good help ....Pease take a look at the pictures I posted...

Last edited: