Inexpensive DIY Alarm for barn needed

pomfish

What I need is a simple Bright Lights/Loud Alarm and maybe 3-4 magnetic door sensors.

What I do not want is cameras,cell phone hookups, etc.
I know which side of the structure is vulnerable, we are light sleepers, and if it is bright and loud enough they will get out fast.
When I check Amazon,ebay, etc. All I get bombarded with are big azz complex full house systems.

So if any one has some products that they have used with success, please chime in.
Thanks,
Keith

MB165

harbor freight makes a motion activated driveway alarm. I have used one for several years now, its very reliable and good for 400 feet distance. (make sure to get the 400ft. one)
you can put the motion sensor in the barn, maybe one outside too?? the receiver makes a loud beep when activated, put that where you will be. Batteries last 8+ months.

Last edited:
I use the Optex Wireless 2000 motion system, with 4 sensors around the outside of my home. Each sensor can be programmed with a different chime sound to the inside receiver, so you'll know what area it is. The sensors can be adjusted for a fan or pencil beam and I have not received any false alarms from small animals, since I've adjusted the sensors for (center of mass) human height.

In addition to my monitored home alarm system, it's a great additional part of a security system. I'd rather have the Optex motion sensor chime during the night, which gives me time to turn outside lights on, grab a weapon and standby, as opposed to having my home alarm system sound off from someone already making their way inside. The element of surprise is greatly reduced with this unit.

pomfish

harbor freight makes a motion activated driveway alarm. I have used one for several years now, its very reliable and good for 400 feet distance. (make sure to get the 400ft. one)
you can put the motion sensor in the barn, maybe one outside too?? the receiver makes a loud beep when activated, put that where you will be. Batteries last 8+ months.
Great suggestion!
This is what I had in mind.
I also see they have an inside motion detector with keypad that also can be hooked up to an external Siren with light and 110db sound.
Between the 2 items, should make a nice budget alarm system. I will get some of it tomorrow, get them dialed in and then order the siren.
Thanks!
Keith

A simple motion sensor outside light with two flood lights
Remove one light bulb use an adapter to plug in an extension cord with a radio turned up to full volume