INFO. PLEASE. H50 purchase

Jamie1972

I am buying a H50 off a guy in KY. Can anyone give me some specs and opinions on the engine? its gonna go into my 72 Roadster 2.

What RPM do i get 5hp at?
Any performance recommendations?
Removed the gov. or leave it alone?
common prob.
Carb. info
Exhaust pipe rec.

Any info. would be helpful!

Thanks!

What RPM do i get 5hp at? 3600 rpm is max on a hs50, not sure on a h50
Any performance recommendations? search tecumseh engine forum
Removed the gov. or leave it alone? please read the sticky http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/doodlebug-minibikes/44148-removing-governor-your-engine-OldMiniBikes-please-read.html
common prob. I'm not qualified, sorry
carb. info search tecumseh engine forum
Exhasut pipe rec. straight pipe or custom, check out this http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/strictly-us-vintage/56261-show-us-your-muffler.html

H50 is a taller engine than the HS40/50, so make sure it fits.
Basically, read the forums. There is tons of good information already posted.:grind:

toomanytoys

h50 is not going to fit in your frame. I bought one, tried and failed to fit it in the frame.

I have one sitting on the shelf unused and its just all together not a good fit. Its taller and wider than the HS motors.

Thats not the correct engine.
I agree with toomanytoys it will be an awkward fit. I have seen it done but it requires alot of modification carb angles, muffler etc.

Get yourself an HS-50 and put a billet rod in it.
Thats the best option if your looking for performance and reliability.

toomanytoys

If you arent stuck on a flat head......get a predator. Minimal work to get it in there. No mods to the bike. Just making a header, getting a cone filter and use the stock gas tank

The h50 is a great engine, they have alot of potential for performace. And there is some good parts for them. but like others have said they do not fit well in a 71 and later rupp frame. I have one on 70 frame which has a little more room for the engine, I had to to make a motor plate to get the torque convertor lined up properly and a custom manifold for the carb. And it still doesnt leave much room for the foot pegs.

Jamie like others have said that block is a little too big for that frame, one other obstacle you will run into is the motor is wider than an HS block, which will require you to off set the engine (more to the right) to make your clutch/jackshaft line up. That will give the bike terrible lean to it right off the bat, and with the torque of the big block you will be fighting it just to ride it making it no fun whatsoever. A HS50 is your best bet- easy to find, plenty of power, the intake is available for it, and most of all it is a direct fit:thumbsup:.

Jamie1972

Jamie like others have said that block is a little too big for that frame, one other obstacle you will run into is the motor is wider than an HS block, which will require you to off set the engine (more to the right) to make your clutch/jackshaft line up. That will give the bike terrible lean to it right off the bat, and with the torque of the big block you will be fighting it just to ride it making it no fun whatsoever. A HS50 is your best bet- easy to find, plenty of power, the intake is available for it, and most of all it is a direct fit:thumbsup:.
Took some time and custom parts but it fits! And it RIPS!!!

Jamie1972

That intake is a custom made intake I made when I was in the metal working industrie. But there is a guy on here that sells a very similar one. Do a search on here for intake adapter on hs40 or something.
Good luck!