Installing a 6.5 in DB.

Hello everyone, It's been a while since I was here last. I was wondering if I can install my 6.5 directly to the motor plate that came with my DB. I see others using an aluminum plate to adapt the engine so you dont have to drill any holes in the stock plate. Is that the only reason its done with the adaptor or is there another reason I dont know about? I did do a search first, so dont go there. Thanks for any help.:confused:

It's also due to some pretty good vibration during acceleration due to the frame flexing. We added an extra piece of 3/16" steel plate to ours when we mounted both of the 7hp Robin/Subaru engines, and there is very minimal vibration. Definately worth the add IMO.

There are guys selling adapter kits but you can take a $8 mount plate (with slits) use it for a template, line up your engine to sprocket, cut your holes and weld it on over the top making it much stronger.

I just had to widen my holes when using a tav 2 and 6.5 clone but am welding the plate on for strength before paint.

den35

That's odd.I bolted mine right to the engine plate(not even a rubber isolator) and I don't get any bad vibrations at all.

I bought a piece of aluminum plate today. Going to drill holes in it and counter sink the head and adapt the engine to it. Thanks for all the help. :thumbsup:

Well I got the engine in tonight and pulled the rope and it started the first pull!! Drove it down the hill with my fingers crossed and in the dark not to mention... turned around and drove it right back up the driveway, 10 percent grade with no problems and I weigh 235lbs. I was pretty happy. Tomorrow after work I am going to make a chain guard and do a little painting. I'll post a few pictures when I finish it.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I drove it down the driveway and it shook like it did with the old smaller engine. So, I tighten up the front forks and drove it again and it was gone. No shakes at all. Just thought I'd share that with ya'll.

Goodnight.