Installing new pistons

Hey guys I have a couple questions about installing new pistons into my 3hp I/C Briggs. The cylinder is honed, I cleaned it out really good afterwards to make sure there are no filings or anything from honing, and I have the rings installed on the pistons like I'm supposed to, and I've filed the ring to get the correct end gap.

My question is: I should oil upp the piston and the cylinder really good before I put it in the ring compressor and slide it into the cylinder right? :shrug:

Thanks. :thumbsup:

old-timer

Scamming Member
I would Clay :thumbsup: I use 30wt oil and coat the cylinder real good . Biggest thing is making sure it's nice and clean before you do it.

Vic

Make sure the cylinder is clean. I wipe them with carb cleaner (or simular solvents), then trans fluid, then do it again. Use a clean paper towel and trans fluid at last, so you can be sure its CLEAN. I put a LIGHT coat of trans fluid in the cylinder. and a little oil on the skirt of the piston..thats it. Be sure to oil the wrist pin well too.

CarPlayLB

...and I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but make sure everything is CLEAN.

I take a bucket of hot, soapy water and a stiff bristle brush and scrub the s%$& out of it,,, you can't be too clean.

I have gotten into the habit of using an oil additive , especially with new engines. The newer oil does not have enough zinc in it to protect the parts. In the automotive world, a lot of guys with flat tappet cams are destroying the camshafts because of the lack of zinc.

Trans fluid is very thin. I'd use motor oil on the rings if you were going to let it sit for any length of time...just my .02

Thanks for all the tips and help guys, I right after I honed it I made sure to clean it up with some carb cleaner, then I used some soapy water this morning before I put the rings in. I used some 30 weight oil and the piston is in and everything is good.

Thanks. :thumbsup: