JB weld didnt work.

trailramdan

we tried JB weld on my tank and it stayed dry for awhile. I rode it a few times and it started to get damp again and a few drips now and then....i really do not want to ruin the paint on the tank....any other ways to stop a leak in a tank? I thought someone said there is a coating for the inside of the tank but I cant find it. any info or tips on how to stop this thing!:censure:

trailramdan

thanks for all the links i may try the por-15 they make a good product, and buckeye yeah it sucks i knew it had a slight leak but it got a little worse. not life or death but still sucks i dont wanna mess up the paint because it would be like hell to match the paint job on the bike

delray

i also use the red coat on my project build bike when i made my fake tank into a real tank. work two different ways for me. sealed the bare metal inside the tank and sealed my welds.....:thumbsup:
o'reilly auto parts carrys it in stock for $26 a Quart

Sounds like you got all the advice you need. I think there is a thread with the same title on just about every fab related forum out there. It's not that the JB is no good, it's just not always used in proper applications.

kbs8ball

seal all works on gas tanks....it comes in a tube...its a lot like airplane glue...ORRRR you can buy that spray stuff on TV...yanno the guy puts a screen door in the bottom of a boat then sprays it with the sealer stuff...NO LEAKS!!!! I seen it on TV.

trailramdan

Red kote seal from the inside? Or do I need to chip off the jb and start fresh? I wasn't sure if they made a liquid that you pour in the tank and it lines it. The dink I got the bike from tacked the tank to the bracket. It was strapped from the factory. Musta burned a tiny hole in the tank. When I jb welded it I thought I seen a hair line crack so we started there. Maybe the hole is where I can't get jb weld or another product from the outside? Ticks me off I got 3 bikes and can't ride any of them lol:angry:

Tank seal

we tried JB weld on my tank and it stayed dry for awhile. I rode it a few times and it started to get damp again and a few drips now and then....i really do not want to ruin the paint on the tank....any other ways to stop a leak in a tank? I thought someone said there is a coating for the inside of the tank but I cant find it. any info or tips on how to stop this thing!:censure:
Auto Zone or Advanced auto parts sells a gas tank repair for 5 bucks or so it looks like a tootsie roll except it has a dark puddy stuff like on the outside and a silver or white puddy stuff on the inside of it. Just roll it around in your hand and it mixes the two types of puddy together I guess one type of the puddy is a hardner of some type.

I've seen this stuff last for years just clean the surface and mash it down on there and it accepts paint really well too. It definetly fixed pin holes or cracks and it is fuel resistant so I guess you can put it inside the tank too - works on any type of fuel tank.

I cut off however much I need and put the rest wrapped up in serran wrap to store and it keeps better from drying out for future use

good stuff...

Does anybody know if I have to use that marine strip and the clean and prep on a brand new hand made tank( no rust or varnish )? I did test for leaks with gas but have since rinsed it well! It did have a few pin holes. Hopefully I can do just the POR 15 treatment! As I didnt buy the other stuff:doah: Thanks! Jason