JcPenney Duster project

45t

I mocked up the Duster before it gets welding & painting done. It will be a fun project. I look forward to building it as close as I can to how my childhood Duster looked. It goes to the welder tomorrow then back to me for paint. I have someone working on remaking the decals and I already got paint that is real close to the original color. The motor I got as an extra with the purchase of my other bike and it will get sent off to be freshened up (disregard the el tigre exhaust, I was just curious to how it would look).

Wish me luck, may time & money be on my side along with a generous and forgiving wife!

I also included a pic of my mini bike hauler (which is my other toy I dump money & time into).

Last edited:

45t

Very cool little project you got going here. I'm just curious who are you using to make your decals?
A friend of mine that is good at graphic design. This will be his first mini bike decal project. He said all he needs is the pics and measurements and he can duplicate it. I'm curious to see how it comes out.

45t

paint

Painted!. The color is close but a tad on the darker side (dark plum color). Its far from a perfect paint job, but I'm ok with it. I'm planning on riding it so it is going to get scratched and dirty. Wheels, tires and seat are next (making it a roller first). The extra engine I had didn't work out so I'm in the hunt for a 3.5 -5 hp engine.

For some reason the paint in the pic looks splotchy? It looks better in person. Dang cheap camera.

Last edited:

45t

roller

Got the wheels & tires mounted. Grips & seat are next. The seat is going to be a custom with 70's era metalic flake purple. Special thanks to Casey Davis for setting me up with the rear tire.

After getting the wheels and tires on an rolling it around, I noticed the turing radius on the Duster sucks. No sharp turns that is for sure.

Last edited:
You're welcome 45T. I hope you don't try driving this thing down a highway, could be a bit tricky in traffic. Bayareaburrito used to have new Hunt Wilde foot peg covers. The grips used were made by Granturismo, and hard to find. Many look-a-likes on eBay and I believe OldMiniBikes. I'll get a link for the brake peg rubber. I know I have it somewhere. If you need a seat guy, Kenny is great to work with. He has experience and can get the special material if he doesn't have it on hand. I have a sissy bar if you need dimensions for it. Anyways, keep up the good work.

Thanks for posting this! It gives me inspiration on getting my Duster back on the road..Looking Great so far...if you get the front plate decals made i would be interested in buying one..:smile:

45t

Thanks for posting this! It gives me inspiration on getting my Duster back on the road..Looking Great so far...if you get the front plate decals made i would be interested in buying one..:smile:
I'm getting the front fork, rear sissy bar mount plate and a custom kill switch plate decal set made. I'll post them when they are finished.

45t

You're welcome 45T. I hope you don't try driving this thing down a highway, could be a bit tricky in traffic. Bayareaburrito used to have new Hunt Wilde foot peg covers. The grips used were made by Granturismo, and hard to find. Many look-a-likes on eBay and I believe OldMiniBikes. I'll get a link for the brake peg rubber. I know I have it somewhere. If you need a seat guy, Kenny is great to work with. He has experience and can get the special material if he doesn't have it on hand. I have a sissy bar if you need dimensions for it. Anyways, keep up the good work.
My original foot peg covers are in good shape, I was able to keep them. I'd like to see what the original grips are suppose to look like, so I order the right ones. I'm in need of the brake peg rubber, so the link to order one will be very helpful. And the sissy bar measurments with some pics would be awesome! There is a custom decrative iron works fence company in my town that I'm hoping I can give the measurements/pics to so they can make me one. Thanks for being a great resource for my build!:thumbsup: Its nice to know there are so many people on this sight that are friendly and helpful.

Here is an image of the original grips. I will find the link to the foot brake cover. This weekend I will take images of the sissy bar and whatever dimensions needed.