JCPenney Swinger Trail

Well, I didn't finish this for the 2016 Build-Off so I am moving the final stages of this build over here to Projects & Rides.

Unfortunately I had to rely on too many other people/resources to complete my Rupp, also I under estimated the number of parts and cost of the build.

Hopefully my goal is by the 4th of July to have this thing wrapped up and on the road.

So as of the end of the Build-Off, here is my progress....

buildoff.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the wheels and tires, along with the brakes...everything is almost ready to go on.

I still need wheel bearings for the wheels.

Also the sprocket was bought new, but suffered from too much shelf wear for my tastes, so I ended up painting the sprocket a light gold color.

wheels.jpg

brakes.jpg

Last edited:
I am also having custom decals made.

They are based on the originals, but using red and blue to compliment my bike instead of the purple that was originally used.

customdecals.jpg

Backing up a bit, here are a couple shots of the paint (1990s Chrysler Bonzai Blue), the shocks with lots of new parts, and some of the black powder coating that I had done.

paint.jpg

shocks.jpg

blackpowder.jpg

Last edited:
This is actually finished and sold (going to Florida) but I thought I would add a more few pictures. Unfortunately I didn't take a enough during the restoration process.

The engine I ended up using was a running HS50 from a snowblower.

HS50.jpg

The original engine is in unknown condition probably needing a rebuild and certainly lots of new parts including a carb.

Here is the HS40 in comparison to the HS50

engines1.jpg

All cleaned up and a rebuilt lighting coil I bought off of eBay.

EngineFront.jpg EngineRear.jpg LightingCoil.jpg

A couple more pictures of it just before completion...everything was rebuilt/restored/refinished/replaced...to better than new.

The only thing that didn't turn how I wanted was the frame. I had wanted the frame painted (because of a few rough spots) and the painter thought he was doing me a favor and had it powder coated.

I know it will be more durable...I just hated to compromise the final finish.

Unfortunately a previous owner had wrapped a bicycle chain around the post under the seat and it had rusted to it, causing cosmetic damage to the post and it shows up in the 3rd picture. Ugh.

The last picture is when it was done other than the decals, which I put them on right before I put the cycle up for sale.

SwingerRearWheel.jpg SwingerTQnoCov.jpg SwingerCenterPost.jpg SwingerOutside.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the final photos.

SwingerRTside.jpg SwingerLTside.jpg

SwingerTank.jpg SwingerENG.jpg SwingerTQ.jpg SwingerAir.jpg SwingerTail.jpg SwingerRW.jpg SwingerRear.jpg SwingerMirrors.jpg SwingerHead.jpg SwingerFW.jpg

I have been out of work since October. And it's going to a good home, so I am happy about that but I am sad to see it go.

I have a enough leftover parts to built another one, other than missing a couple odds and ends, so I am going to do that and it will be a low to no budget cafe racer build.

That bike turned out sweet, nice work!!! I understand your frustration about selling it, but sometimes one door closes and another opens.
I'm sure the next bike will be awesome also.............