Just another Doodlebug

jays0n

Just got started with the rebuild of a DB I picked up on craigslist. I paid too much for it but I've never really been screwed by CL before so I guess this is my lesson. It runs but barely and with the Predator 212cc engine being so cheap I decided to just go that route, much to my better half's dismay :)

We do quite a bit of back country exploring with our Toyota FJ Cruiser and off road trailer so I figured this will be perfect mounted on a custom receiver hitch tray on the back of the trailer. I'm not looking to break any records, just have something fun to goof around with when we explore so it will be a mild build compared to some of ya'lls builds.

Plans are as follows:
Predator 212cc conversion
PMR motor plate
PMR jackshaft kit
under seat header with custom support
header wrap
bullet muffler
tuck/roll seat
new OEM grips
using OEM throttle and kill switch
new bearings all around
Kenda Scorpion tires
wheels sandblasted and powder coated matte black
frame/fenders sandblasted and powder coated Toyota Sun Fusion yellow

It will be transported on the back of the trailer (built the frame with a receiver hitch on the back for such things)

Now for some progress pics...

It's not in great running shape but it's complete so that's good.

Stripped down to a roller, little bit of rust and a small bend in the front fender but nothing I can't easily fix.

Jackshaft setup and mounting bracket for the primary chain cover, just test fitting so far, no key in the crank yet.

Got the stock exhaust off and installed the under seat header from HRM, need to weld on the threaded coupler and fab up a support.

Got the throttle cable connected with parts from HRM, not sure my setup is exactly how they envisioned it because I had parts left but it works and is super smooth.

Unifilter installed, breather installed, choke retainer installed and carb rejetted.

Love the difference between the two engines! I always say if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing :)

jays0n

Made a bunch of progress today after work. Decided at the last minute to drop the front fender. I'm not much of a fabricator but I'm pretty proud of how it came out, perhaps I'm more of one than I thought ;) I also got the exhaust done and shortened the stock chain guard. I think at this point I'm just about ready for breakdown and powder coating!

Got the holes for the engine plate drilled and the plate set in place.

I harvested part of the old bracket and made the rest of the new one out of some flat stock with the ends "fish mouthed".

I'm super excited about how it came out, can't wait to see some color on it, seems like it will be tough to tell I changed anything, exactly how I like it :)

Exhaust is done. Started with a header from HRM then shortened, bent and welded the threaded coupler on.

A good coating of BBQ paint and some exhaust wrap and this thing will look pro!

Last edited:
Strong work!! :thumbsup: What did you use to weld the fender bracket?? Doesnt look like mig or tig and no grind marks..........oxy acetylene?? I'd recommend Carlisle Snow Hog tires they would be great for what your doing!!

Definetly the Carlisle Snow Hogs over Kendas.

Good work so far!

What are you doing with the old motor? I may have a project in mind for one of those.

jays0n

Thanks! I already have the kendas so we'll see how they do, those snowhogs look awesome though! I used a MIG and a flapper wheel on my grinder to smooth out the welds. I haven't done this stuff in a while but now that I have I really miss it! I have a buddy that might want the motor but if he doesn't end up taking it I'm sure we can work something out ;)

jays0n

Got a couple more things sorted out today, just have to get the remote fuel tank sorted and then it's off to powder coat. It was made clear to me this morning that as soon as this one is complete I'm to be tasked with building another for the lady. This one will be a street version, hoping to find a pocket bike to donate some wheels, tires and brakes to the effort. Now to find another frame....

Got the new seat cover from lxmboutique on Etsy and got it installed last night, super happy with it for the money!

Got the exhaust painted up with 2000 degree header paint.

Pulled the Predator fuel tank off, really cleans up the look of the bike. I have the HRM fuel tank relocation kit on the way, anxious to see how it all fits together.

Got the tank off the old DB30 engine, cleaned it up and got a fresh coat of paint on it, ready to go!

Those 212 Predators can eat some gas and those are small tanks just be mindful of it out in the woods away from camp or carry some spare fuel. Happened to a friend that was riding mine and we were pretty far from the truck.....found a water bottle and transfered enough from mine to get us back. Just saying :thumbsup:

I like the 2000 degree header paint idea, ALL the chrome came off my pipes in the first two days:censure: and I don't like the wrap tape. Think I'm going to the auto parts store today!

jays0n

The frame is going to be yellow to match my FJ Cruiser and offroad trailer. The wheels will be matte black and the few red accents like the seat will match the suspension and other few red parts on the FJ. If I can get the remote fuel tank sorted out tonight the rest of it will get broken down for powder coating and dropped off by the end of the week at the latest.

This works out perfectly as while the parts are being finished I can sort out a more important project. We moved into this house about 6 weeks ago and have been getting things setup. We have painted the garage, replaced the doors and openers, and installed a tile floor. Basically it's done other than my 2 keg + 2 corny keg commercial kegerator that has been in storage with the doors closed and all the lines full of beer for 2 months :doah: It's cleaned out now but needs a bunch of new lines, once I finish THAT and beer is flowing the parts should be back and I can do final assembly with a cold draft beer beside me!

jays0n

Looks like my order from HRM may have gotten lost in the mail, funny cause I live 1 hour away from them. Anyway, got the header wrapped last night, not much else. Picked up another Predator on a coupon over the weekend to use on a bike I now need to build for the wife, she didn't have to twist my arm to commit to building one for her :) I decided that I'm not going to run the OEM rear chain guard and gonna just use the PMR front guard so I need to cut off the mounts and clean up the frame. Also gonna remove the stock tensioner mount, it's bent anyway and with the adjustable motor mount I shouldn't need it to keep my chain tight.

I found some 1" wrap on eBay that came with metal ties, went on pretty easily and seems like it should do the trick.

Soooo close to time for breakdown!

Last edited:

jays0n

Glad someone chimed in on that. It seems that with the jackshaft setup there isn't really much room for a tensioner and from my mockup it seems that I may not even need one as the jackshaft gear is so close to the rear sprocket. Even with this setup will it still slap around enough to require a tensioner?