just bought a side popper

R

rustybike

I bought this earlier today. I'm trying to post a few pics. The cylinder looks good, no scoring. But the piston doesn't come all the way up. I'm gonna pull the flywheel first but I think the rod might be broken.

R

rustybike

The rod is fine. I'm not sure if the flywheel was catching on something underneath or its from spinning the crank a little when trying to pop off the flywheel. I might replace the bearings anyway just to be safe. I did manage to break the flywheel though so off to eBay for another one. The fly bolt was already off when I bought it. I used a 3/8 impact gun. It sucks that I broke it, I should have used a small propane torch to heat it up. Lesson learned.

R

rustybike

Does anybody know where I can buy a billet rod for this engine? Or do they not make one for this exact one?

Can anyone cross the Craftsman 143 552064?

Rusty, I might have the correct flywheel, nut and washer for that. I also have some tins, stripped of paint in very good condition with a decent pull starter.

The rod, crank, piston, and bore are out of spec though, which is why it is sitting on my shelf. You can have it all for the cost of shipping.

Can anyone cross the Craftsman 143 552064?

Rusty, I might have the correct flywheel, nut and washer for that. I also have some tins, stripped of paint in very good condition with a decent pull starter.

The rod, crank, piston, and bore are out of spec though, which is why it is sitting on my shelf. You can have it all for the cost of shipping.
Dave that model doesn't even come up at Sears. What was the model used for? Snow Blower or something?

Dave that model doesn't even come up at Sears. What was the model used for? Snow Blower or something?
No idea. All I have found out is that the early Tec Craftsman engines don't cross in the book. When you mic them out, the bores are different than later models of H25-35 series Craftsman (and Tec) that "are" in the book.

So when trying to buy replacement parts, well, you cant. This is a perfect example of why I was recommending you catalogue and measure your stuff. If I had to guess, I think that early Tec/Craftsman stuff was based on what Lauson was building before the buy out, and that's where the specs would be. But just a guess and still doesn't help with part numbers from a Tec book.

You can buy a NOS H30 block from Ebay, and have it end up being a quarter inch different in bore than your older H30 with scratch marks.

No idea. All I have found out is that the early Tec Craftsman engines don't cross in the book. When you mic them out, the bores are different than later models of H25-35 series Craftsman (and Tec) that "are" in the book.

So when trying to buy replacement parts, well, you cant. This is a perfect example of why I was recommending you catalogue and measure your stuff. If I had to guess, I think that early Tec/Craftsman stuff was based on what Lauson was building before the buy out, and that's where the specs would be. But just a guess and still doesn't help with part numbers from a Tec book.

You can buy a NOS H30 block from Ebay, and have it end up being a quarter inch different in bore than your older H30 with scratch marks.
I am putting one of my motors on ebay this weekend just to see what happens. It'll be that one I yanked the VINTAGE Max Torque clutch off of. Its got a decapitated exhaust valve. But I've seen worse go for decent money.

Anyway, I have entire microfiche sheets that say Tec - Craftsman cross reference that I haven't even looked at yet. Maybe it's there? Just want to make sure you have that Craftsman number right though. Cuz if it doesn't show up in a Sears database, well that IS odd, no? Is the number clear to read or all rusted and what not? That '61 Sears Craftsman I have with the waffle recoil is even on the cross reference list and that one is only 5 digits after the 143. I can research this stuff for hours. It's really interesting. I'll check out those slides tonight and see what I can find for ya.

I looked at every fiche slide I have that said Craftsman on it and your engine number did not come up. That is one confounding motor.