Just Bought this BAJA..................

And I'm looking for a little input On this thing. I do a lot of Volkswagen shows and everybody at the shows rides mini bikes, so I got me one. I like hoe the BAJA's look so I looked around and found me one-which brings me here, as your newest member of this forum. I was a little disappointed when I found out the tank was fake-but I'll get over that.
So what should I do to this thing first off. The rear tire is shot and I already ordered one of those. What do I need to look for on this bike? It starts on first pull and the guy I got it from aired the tire up , started the bike and took off, he only made it 50ft and the tire was flat again. I handed him $200 and put it in my truck. End of story,

I like the style of these Baja's and I want to "Hook" this one up. The chain on this goes from the wheel sprocket straight to the engine, and that's not how I've seen them. Tell me what that looks like to you. Check out the exhaust pipe Too-it sounds pretty good but it needs some welding work. I'll wait to hear back from some of you GURU's , be honest with me, you aint gonna hurt my feelings.

Attachments

Welcome aboard Tom..:thumbsup: First thing I would do is get the tire replaced and the jackshaft hooked back up......You will burn the clutch up with the set up you have now.

Oh and you need to do something with that exhaust for sure ! If nothing else rap it with header wrap.:weld::weld:

Last edited:
I certainly agree with OND, your clutch will be toast without the jack shaft. There are tons of guys here with Baja bikes of all shapes and sizes, with expertise to go with it. Good luck and welcome to the oldest group of 10 year olds you'll ever meet.:wink:

Welcome aboard Tom..:thumbsup: First thing I would do is get the tire replaced and the jackshaft hooked back up......You will burn the clutch up with the set up you have now.

Oh and you need to do something with that exhaust for sure ! If nothing else rap it with header wrap.:weld::weld:
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. I figured that set up was wrong when I first looked at it. The exhaust isn't an issue , I'll replace that. What should I do with the clutch ? Those set ups on ebay any good ? I just looked at one that came with a small chain sprocket, a belt pulley, a belt , and I think it had a clutch with it (is that a TAV?), I just not sure what to put on it- I would like some speed, but I also want it to be right and last for a while. Any assistance with this would help. Just point me in the right direction. You guys say "JACKSHAFT" , like I know what that is-no idea. LOL:thumbsup:

Yea those TAV's on Ebay will work just fine and take the place of your jackshaft that you have on the bike now ( smaller set of gears behind the clutch . Also a Tav will give you power and some speed !

Are the two smaller gears on your jackshaft good ? Does the shaft spin freely ? Looks like to me if you flip your clutch over with the gear on the outside then you could hook your chains up to the jackshaft.

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. I figured that set up was wrong when I first looked at it. The exhaust isn't an issue , I'll replace that. What should I do with the clutch ? Those set ups on ebay any good ? I just looked at one that came with a small chain sprocket, a belt pulley, a belt , and I think it had a clutch with it (is that a TAV?), I just not sure what to put on it- I would like some speed, but I also want it to be right and last for a while. Any assistance with this would help. Just point me in the right direction. You guys say "JACKSHAFT" , like I know what that is-no idea. LOL:thumbsup:
If you haven't figured it out from reading the rest of the posts here, the jackshaft is the shaft with the 2 gears on it that isn't hooked to anything. So, as suggested, try flipping the clutch over. That should line the clutch gear up to the outside gear on the jackshaft.
If it does, put a chain on there between them.
Then put another chain from the back sprocket to the smaller gear on the jackshaft. That should get you rolling.
Joe

Get the torque converter. You'll need to shorten or get a fresh chain. You'll never look back.
I junked the fake tank and put a real one on. I kept them both, and use the engine mounted one as my reserve.
It's not hard to take a $200 Baja, and mod it to $1500. or better. It can happen real quick. :biggrin:
But start with new rubber, a TC, and a new chain.
You also might like switching that 50 tooth sprocket to a 60. It adds a fair amount of torque.

Greetings.cool bike...i got a Coleman ct200 u basic same jackshaft setup when stock.10 to 1..tc are cool if you want best of both worlds or ride hilly off road....i ditched 50t stock sprocket and jackshaft and went to a 68t rear sprocket,6.8 to 1,inverted 10t stock clutch. I run flat street so it has good smooth take off and no clutch issues..been a year...top speed 40 or more 4500 rpm.I'm 190 lbs..just went to 18" turf tires 2 ply is better for dirt roads and street..now about 35 or so at 4500 rpm..i may go to kenda 572 19" street type tire next time.recoup my 40 mph...my rides are short 45 to 60 min rides so not alot of strain on my clutch..if you ride for hours maybe you should go another direction..a lot of fun whatever you decide..cheers

Last edited:

buckeye

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
TAV.
That chain and jackshaft drove me nuts with all the grinding and clanging.
But, suggested posts will get ya going good until you figure what direction you will take.

anyone have a recommendation on a TAV brand ? The ones on ebay are half the price of a COMET. But is the quality there ? They look the same but we all know how that goes. I measured the chain and it is a 41.

2SlickNick

anyone have a recommendation on a TAV brand ? The ones on ebay are half the price of a COMET. But is the quality there ? They look the same but we all know how that goes. I measured the chain and it is a 41.
They work just fine...
Comet went out of business, so that is why there " comet stuff " is higher in price.

The Chinese knock offs are reported to work fine per other members on OldMiniBikes. BUT the Chinese belt is junk and doesn't last long or does not fit at all... Everyone that has one says you have to buy a Comet belt for it. Then it works as it should.

And you will like a TAV on the bike. Much more user friendly and no more noise. And yes the bike uses a #41 chain.

Doug

Last edited:
OK, got the torq a verter toady and , of course it don't fit correctly, went and looked at a couple different posts and utube videos. I guess I have to do some modifications to the TAV Looks relatively simple-just hate to cut up brand new parts- whatever works, I guess.

That took a whole 1/2 hour to mod and install. Started the bike and checked operation. Seems to work as it should. now just waiting for slow boat from Cali with my new tire on it. Cant wait to see how it behaves. Had to cut rear oil dip stick off and took about 1/2 inch of bottom rear of the TAV plate off to clear frame-minor trim. b1.png b3.png

Attachments