Kart ID needed, first project, old Manco?

Hello. Been looking for a kart project for awhile now, and this morning I picked up this off CL for only $30. It's complete, but needs a bit of work. I'm taking it all apart and putting it together right since it's a bit rigged.

Two questions:

First, anyone know what it is, or at least about what era it's from? I'm guessing Manco but that's only because the steering wheel center says that, no other reason.

Second, looking around at karts, I've never seen another one where the steering columns sticks out so far from the steering loop. Is this a major safety (impalement) issue I should be concerned about? I was thinking I could weld up another loop close to the steering wheel, or just cut the steering column quite a bit shorter.

Real happy with this project. I think I got a great deal. I'll probably put a 6.5hp Predator motor on it once they're on sale for $99 again.

Thanks, and I'll post up a thread in the projects section once I get going on it.

No one has any thoughts on what this thing may be?

By the way, I removed the steering wheel, and the hole that goes through the steering wheel is quite a bit smaller than the hole in the steering shaft (causing a lot of steering slop at the wheel), and maybe this is a clue that someone just stuck this steering wheel on there later, so maybe that's not even a clue that it's a Manco.

Thanks. :scooter:

Thanks for the lead. I haven't been able to find any American Express's that look exactly like this (or even for it to be one modified into mine), but I see the resemblance. Maybe if they made a variation on it that I just haven't found.

Either way, after looking at thousands of pics of go karts since getting it, I haven't found one exactly like it, or that this was modified from. But, it has so many features similar to many Mancos that I can't help but assume it's a Manco until I find out otherwise. Seems like a decent enough yard cart to me to mess around with. Thanks again.