Kick Starter

Item number: 150271623091

A Company really needs to make these and sell them for $50.00. I think everyone would buy one.

$50 bucks are your dreaming? It would cost $50 just for materials at today's prices. What he's asking for is about what it is worth. I've seen them go for a little less on ebay but not half as nice as the one he has for sale. One thing for sure though Parliament if they were to sell for $50 everyone would buy one:thumbsup:

You know what? i am going to attempt to make my own kick starter. I am going to buy the peg and the shaft that mounts on the outside and go from there. I saw some for mopeds online.

Step Two:

Title:KICK STARTER Document Type and Number:United States Patent 3782356
Abstract:A kick starter for small internal combustion engines capable of being exteriorly attached to the engine flywheel housing in place of the usual recoil type rope starter. A pair of spaced parallel shafts are rotatably mounted at their end regions within a casing, one shaft being connected to a foot operated crank arm, and the other shaft supporting engine flywheel starter clutch mechanism. Meshing gears are mounted upon the shafts and one of the gears is connected to its associated shaft through a torque limiting connection permitting slippage to occur between the foot operated crank and flywheel clutch mechanism in the event of premature ignition or "backfire" during cranking. A recoil spring returns the crank arm to its original position after the cranking operation, and stop means insure consistent and uniform positioning of the crank arm to its original position at the end of the cranking stroke. The flywheel clutch mechanism includes a radially movable dog which engages a drive cup mounted upon the engine flywheel, and dog actuating structure radially extends the dog during cranking, and radially retracts the dog during return of the starter components to the non-cranking condition. A sheet metal crank defines a socket pivotally receiving a foot pedal and a pin limits rotation of the pedal in the socket.

The kick starter would work only if the motor was in good tune. Just like full size motorcycles if the engine was tuned up then starting can be easy and if not you can kick your gut's out . Ask any old school Harley rider about the fun of kicking through a poorly tuned motorcycle.
Steve :scooter:

I love the idea of making your own kick starter :thumbsup: It's not rocket science and should be rather easy to fab one providing you have some decent tool's to work with. I think the $350 kick starters are waaaay too expensive and its not like they are THAT rare, but some do bring that kind of $$$ so it's all about demand I suppose. Good luck with it and post progress/designs.

im going to try and make one also. I got some steering gears from an old riding mower that look like the gears inside one of those kick starters. One progect at a time :thumbsup: