kill switch

Hello,
I just got my mini bike running with a honda gc160, I bought a kill switch and hooked it up to the coil where the old kill switch (used to hook up to old throttle and turn engine off when throttle was shut with a button) but it doesen't work at all, on or off. Is there anything im missing or any way to hook this up?
Thanks,
Isaac

capguncowboy

You need to make sure that your switch is grounded. If it doesn't work on the frame, you can run a wire from the switch body back to the engine block. Be sure you don't cross the two wires or it will always be in kill mode.

Basically, by grounding the coil, it will stop sending fire to the motor and it stops running.

capguncowboy

Get that kill switch working , kinda hard to get the choke when your outta control and need to kill the bike !
This. I had a go kart run away from me a few months back. I bailed but the go kart didn't seem to mind. The terror only stopped because the chain snapped. I won't even try to start a motor now without a kill switch.

Got the kill switch working fine now :)
kind of ironic, i let my friend ride it after i got the kill switch working and he started it (while i wasnt looking) and the throttle cable got stuck, instead of lifting it up or hopping on or using the kill switch he'd just helped me instal he ran with it and tipped it, look for my new topic because the engine is running crappy now

capguncowboy

Got the kill switch working fine now :)
kind of ironic, i let my friend ride it after i got the kill switch working and he started it (while i wasnt looking) and the throttle cable got stuck, instead of lifting it up or hopping on or using the kill switch he'd just helped me instal he ran with it and tipped it, look for my new topic because the engine is running crappy now
To elaborate on my previous post: Last fall I had my dad over to help me set up a new go kart project. I had not installed a kill switch yet. I started it up but it was idling too low. I shut it down and adjusted the throttle. I started it again and it powered up enough to fully engage the clutch. Panicking, I grabbed the steering wheel. The kart stood up on it's rear wheels and I was able to wrestle it into a safer direction. I held on for dear life and took a ride across the yard. I didn't want to let go because I was worried it would destroy something or someone. I was afraid to reach for the switch on the motor because the chain and sprockets were right there next to it. Finally I decided that property damage was better than death or dismemberment and let it go towards my neighbors privacy fence. Apparently, the chain broke during the struggle and the kart came to a stop before it plowed through everything in it's path (included my dad's brand new car).. Fortunately, I was okay aside from a cut where the wheel/sprocket tore across my ankle. Kill switches are the first thing I install now. And I never "test" the idle of anything unless the chain is off or the drive wheel is off the ground.

I was lucky that my injury was minor. Here's a pic of the wound I suffered. This picture is from a week after it happened. My foot wasn't mangled, I just have really... odd? feet.

I'm glad you guys are okay. I saw in your other thread that your motor is okay as well.

Last edited: