Kit bikes

Im going to get my son a kit for Christmas. I was looking at vintage bikes but im unsure how he would like an old wore out resto project under the tree for Christmas. Who has put the kits together, I am looking for feed back on the kits. Whats a good one? Good quality? How are the Azuza kits? I will be putting a 5hp briggs flathead on it.

Dennis

I have never built a kit bike but have looked at the ones that are available from OldMiniBikes and other sources , they all look of similar design and quaulity
However it does look like all of them may need a bit of fab work or welding to make them complete.

How about a shiny new toolkit under the tree and a vintage bike ready to restore out in the shop

Either way its a great gift and awesome father and son project

My son is 12. I am a mechanic by day. I love the wrenching. Garage time at home is relaxing to me. My son not so much. Ive tried here and there to get him in the garage interested in things but your either born with it or your not. He was not. He is into his sports and his football. Which I support him 100 percent in that. But I would like him to know how to fix things just like my grandfather taught me. Norcal that is the exact kit I was looking at. When I was his age I had a few minibikes. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gotten rid of them. I had a stable of boonie bikes.

Hi Dennis, I bet if you get him a kit bike for Christmas...he would get Interested in it quick ! Oh and If you allready have a engine thats great, but you can get a new Predator 212 at Harbor Freight for a $100.00 ready to mount and go.

Last edited:

dakota

Azusa Kits are great - no fab work at all. everything is bolt on.. built a few.. I love them flatheads - mine is a 5hp I/c motor

Last edited:
Hey Dennis............I'm not too far away from you, over in Wyoming, if you need a hand or just want to talk minibike, shoot me a PM.................Tom.

I understand where your boy is at I did not get the wrenching bug till I was a teen get him the bike build it together if he's about sports give the bike a team them
Most of all it should be fun for him
And once it's done he will be the man all his buddy's will want one
The 5hp Briggs will be great for a wile and there are parts galore when he's ready for more power

Sent from my iPhone using Mores code

Ok.....I pulled the trigger on an Azuza 5" wheel kit with hillard clutch, kill switch, chain guard and kick stand all from OldMiniBikes. I also searched up some old contacts from my kart racing days and sourced an adult stocker 5hp Briggs with a billed rod, dyno 7-3 cam and dover carb. It's a raptor block. Should be a good Christmas for Jr.

Well my son took his maiden voyage on the Azusa today. It's a good kit. He was able to do most of it himself. I helped with tightening some bolts and hooking up the brake mechanism. Rides and handles well. I put a really good running 3hp Briggs on it with a racing kart throttle, no governor. It handles well. Doesn't wheelie and is safe for him. Only bad part is the foot pegs. There junk. I am going to weld a cross bar just in front of the engine for him.

20141229_163850_resized.jpg 20141229_163610_resized.jpg 20141229_163617_resized.jpg

Here is the kit bike pre paint. Installed a better footpeg. Up out of the way, shouldn't pogostick it where its located. Also ordered a clutch guard from OldMiniBikes when I bought the kit. Has little to be desired so I built one that is a lot safer and offers more protection for my sons leg. Going to get it painted and I will update.