Lauson / Tecumseh Slant Carb ?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Hello,

So I'm working on this 1971 , 4hp Tecumseh in a Trail Flite.

Been sitting for 25 Years, So I get a New carb kit.

Replaced everything even though all it really needed was a new diaphragm.

The Dam thing floods the intake & carb, New needle, Seat and seal.

Had this carb off 5 times now, same thing. I'm ready to rip the slant engine plate out,

Go flat plate & Float carb.

Any ideas before I do.

Take carb off...hold throttle and shake it...if you hear no rattle..throw carb in trash. That means it is gummed up and the little check ball is frozen.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Thanks, under the diaphragm is two welch plugs, the two are the same size. One I replaced, it was rusty.

The other I did not touch.

Is there on on top of the carb body? If there is, I did not notice it?

Last edited:
There should be no reason you can't put a float carb on it. I've never understood my MTD's have the 20 degree slant intake yet have diaphragm carbs on them. Why go through the trouble of the slanted intake then? You could mount a diaphragm upside down if you wanted. If anything the slanted intake should be FOR float carb options. What am I missing here?

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
What size / part # HL Carb can I replace this Lauson /Tecumseh Diaphragm carb with. For a 4hp Tecumseh..

I have tried, tried and tried again. This carb will not check the fuel and floods the intake.

I'm about to find out how far you cant thro one of these flat bottom carbs. :censure:

markus

far as I know that was the only version of a diaphragm carb that Tecumseh offered for the 4 hp engines, even the 3-3.5hp ones are a different number. Even though all the pieces match up in the parts listings between the H30-35 to the HS40, I think the venturi/bore in the carb body itself is smaller, and for whatever reason never listed the carb body on its own to cross reference it.

I don't think there was a need for the Diaphragm on any other application into the late 60's early 70's other than the slanted engine mini bikes, or the 2 stroke engines.

What size / part # HL Carb can I replace this Lauson /Tecumseh Diaphragm carb with. For a 4hp Tecumseh..

I have tried, tried and tried again. This carb will not check the fuel and floods the intake.

I'm about to find out how far you cant thro one of these flat bottom carbs. :censure:
Do you mean a Tillotson HL? There are plenty of Tecumseh bowl carbs you could use. When you replaced the diaphragm did you put it back in the right order with the gasket? Some with the F on the front are mounted in opposite order. Kinda sound like that is what happened cuz the pin sounds like it always pushed in sending gas out continuously.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
In the way it came out, Gasket , then Diaphragm.

I removed the Diaphragm carb, Then I Re-set the float on a bowl carb and put it on.

No leaks, but I have yet to start it. I left things apart to air out from all the flooding before.