Lifan, Harbor Freight Greyhound, Northern Iron Horse, Jiangdong, etc.

RobK

I'm new to the whole clone thing. I understand the Chinese basically stole Honda's design for the 5.5 and 6.5 engines. I think Honda has even tried to sue, though unsuccessfully. I also see that both engines are sold under at least a half dozen names. Lifan, Greyhound from Harbor Freight, “Iron Horse” from Northern, Jiangdong, Champion, etc. Are these different “brands” all the same? Are they all from one manufacturer or different? Are all the parts interchangeable among the various clones and Hondas? It sounds like they are. I’m curious. I just bought a Mini Baja with the Jiangdong 5.5 that’s not running. It’ll fire on starting fluid, so I’m pretty sure the carb needs a good cleaning. I’m also thinking of building a Serengeti Puma kit with my son and will likely put a clone on it. So, are they all the same?

You will usually find somewhere one them a Lifan sticker. A couple of the names you listed I have not run across. It maybe regional were they sell them at. We get a lot of the Greyhounds around here.I have a few of them and had no problems with them.

joekd

My first clone was a Jiangdong and as mentioned above when I was tearing into it one day I found a Lifan name so my guess is they are the primary mfg with many suppliers

RobK

I think you're right about Lifan. I suspect they make many of the clones. I have figure something out though. The Northern Tool "Iron Horse" engines are not Honda clones. The Iron Horse is 208cc, and I don't think Honda makes a 208cc engine to copy. It's made by a company called Liquid Combustion Technologies (LCT). It's a Chinese company that appears to have aggressively gone after the snowblower market that Tecumseh abandoned. They're marketed as "Stormforce" or Maxx engines. I don't know who's design they're based on, but I'm guessing the parts don't interchange with the 163cc or 196cc Honda Clones.

I'm new to the whole clone thing. I understand the Chinese basically stole Honda's design for the 5.5 and 6.5 engines. I think Honda has even tried to sue, though unsuccessfully. I also see that both engines are sold under at least a half dozen names. Lifan, Greyhound from Harbor Freight, “Iron Horse” from Northern, Jiangdong, Champion, etc. Are these different “brands” all the same? Are they all from one manufacturer or different? Are all the parts interchangeable among the various clones and Hondas? It sounds like they are. I’m curious. I just bought a Mini Baja with the Jiangdong 5.5 that’s not running. It’ll fire on starting fluid, so I’m pretty sure the carb needs a good cleaning. I’m also thinking of building a Serengeti Puma kit with my son and will likely put a clone on it. So, are they all the same?
not all parts are interchangeable,there are slight differences like four and five bolt valve covers:crying:

My first clone was a Jiangdong and as mentioned above when I was tearing into it one day I found a Lifan name so my guess is they are the primary mfg with many suppliers
I believe jiangdong is the prvince in china where the founder of lifan motors was born! Look up lifan on wickpedia and it has some interesting facts about the company!

vette66_00

not all parts are interchangeable,there are slight differences like four and five bolt valve covers:crying:
The 4 or 5 bolt pattern is the difference in years. Before Jan 2009 they made pretty much a 100% Honda knock off so with 4 bolts. . After Jan 2009 production they went to 5 bolt valve cover heads.(also side cover changed they added a bolt) From what I read these are the only 2 changes they did to stay away from copyright infringements.

The 4 or 5 bolt pattern is the difference in years. Before Jan 2009 they made pretty much a 100% Honda knock off so with 4 bolts. . After Jan 2009 production they went to 5 bolt valve cover heads.(also side cover changed they added a bolt) From what I read these are the only 2 changes they did to stay away from copyright infringements.
This much I know, I will buy more clones! How many only time will tell, the one I just put on the yellow DirtBug has sat for nearly a month since I bought it as a birthday gift to myself, after my kids killed the 2.8 it was a no brainer what to do with it! Every time the price drops below $100 I will buy one or more, they have proven to be an affordable reliable engine even if some have had small issues as many engines do! I scoffed at the notion I would ever buy a DB at first then fell in love with the little machines, so whatever the name I will buy the lifan 6.5!

I'm considering using a Powerhorse 208cc OHV Horizontal Engine for my father/son DB30 project and have found some more information today:

"This engine is made by LCT (Liquid Combustion Technology) and branded as 'Northern's' Powerhorse. The LCT logo is molded into the air cleaner and also stamped into the valve cover, also LCT has a signature hexagonal valve cover and recoil mechanism. The LCT website has a lot of additional information on these engines. Parts are available from Stens. Also check out Parsons Racing Engines, they mildly tune these 208 cc engines to make 8.5 HP. In my opinion they have to be decent engines to get that much performance out of them."
The above quote is from the Northern Tools website in the 'customer review' section on the Powerhorse 208cc engine... I did notice several reviews where folks used this engine for go karts.

NOTE: I did go to the Parsons Racing Engines site and noticed that many after market parts for the 196cc Honda clones are also compatible on this 208cc engine...

I'm considering using a Powerhorse 208cc OHV Horizontal Engine for my father/son DB30 project and have found some more information today:

The above quote is from the Northern Tools website in the 'customer review' section on the Powerhorse 208cc engine... I did notice several reviews where folks used this engine for go karts.

NOTE: I did go to the Parsons Racing Engines site and noticed that many after market parts for the 196cc Honda clones are also compatible on this 208cc engine...
The Lifan, Harbor freight style 6.5 clones engines get more out of them than 8.5hp when mildly tuned, more towards the 10-12hp. Check out NR racing site or affordable go-karting site. If the engine is slightly different from what the 196cc engine is I would stay away from it. Go with what has the most available parts that are tried and true.

Last edited:
Actually, Lifan really did build motors for Honda. Honda also let their patents expire on a lot of the old motor designs. IE the old 70cc motors found on bikes like the CT70. Also Lifan holds the original dies used to stamp the CT's frames... We actually compared the frames with a Faro Control arm, and compared tooling marks from the Lifan copy to an original 1969 CT70. It matches beyound a doubt.