lighting coil

trailramdan

Must buddy has a tecumseh of a riding lower he said its a vertical shaft. If I take the light coil set up off of his motor and find a motor for my ram is it as simple as that or does it need to be a specific motor etc

I think that would take a whole lot of study in the huge Tecumseh books. They being factory were not into making it easy to find out information like that.
I have a brand new Tecumseh 6.5 HP OHV engine and it has a 3/5 split coil alternator so you can charge a battery and run lights . And is a electric start motor with ball bearing on the PTO side and is a cast iron cylinder sleeve. I no longer have a need for this engine as the project is not going to happen now.
Willing to ship to the lower states for $ 275.00 from Portland, Oregon

Must buddy has a tecumseh of a riding lower he said its a vertical shaft. If I take the light coil set up off of his motor and find a motor for my ram is it as simple as that or does it need to be a specific motor etc
Just depends. If I know what you have and what the parts are coming off of I should be able to tell you if it will work.
The engines are not lighting coil specific, so as long as the parts interchange you'll be ok. The lighting coil consist of the stator and flywheel.

That should work fine on a H50-H70, you'll just need to try it. But I think it will be fine. That rectifier panel is a tough part to find so I would put that away somewhere where it wont get misplaced.
You wont need that for lights. Thats used if you want to charge a battery.

delray

randy,then again the rectifier would be nice if a guy wanted to have 12v/battery electric start on his minibike and lights.............:thumbsup: i think there was a guy in windber that had a 12v electric start? but that was a briggs........:shrug:

delray

on the older tecumsehs that use the rectifiers is the lighted coil only putting out AC volts. i think my couisin use a AC only lighted coil and was cooking the light bulbs? i believe the light coil he was using was not for a minibike and the AC volts on that unit was to much? maybe something like you have? i could be wrong.:shrug: lighted coil setups are cool to have on a minibike,but i would test the the unit with and without the rectifier to see what kind of AC and DC volts it puts out first. i know the DC volts maybe little high,but with a battery hook up it will bring it back down to 12 or so and i would think it would have 2amp or more charging system? also the AC volts will be high too when engine is running at a high speed.
i think you can make it work just find,just test it before hooking it up to anything....lights...battery...etc....:thumbsup:

Last edited:

delray

your lighted coil steve sounds alot like a minibike lighted coil/ AC for lights only and DC to charge a battery for a 12volt starter. alot of the super bronc bikes had that setup on the big block flatheads...:thumbsup:

YES!!!! You got lucky as hell on that one...... :bowdown:

That is the vertical shaft 6 horse motor.. VH60....

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh-engines/58774-tecumseh-6-horse-lighted-system.html

That aluminum lighted flywheel just happens to be the exact same part as the horizontal lighted 5-7 horse motors... So the flywheel is minibike correct parts for like a 69 Bonanza H50 or something..

The coil will work all the same an is ALSO the exact same part, for a horizontal shat electric start motor... Most commonly you would find THESE charging setups in the HH60 cast iron motors, like on a Toro or Troytbilt rototiller... Those motors used a cast iron flywheel...

You DON'T NEED that rectifier panel for the system to work, as the wire running to each one, are both positive DC current out....

But I would recommend using it, as it's there and works like it should... :thumbsup: PLUS it's like Delray said, and you could charge a battery with it, like it's supposed to do..

randy,then again the rectifier would be nice if a guy wanted to have 12v/battery electric start on his minibike and lights.............:thumbsup: i think there was a guy in windber that had a 12v electric start? but that was a briggs........:shrug:
That was my bike Delray that had the 12 volt electric start but it was not hooked up yet. It will be for next years event.

delray

yes jmbmini,that was my briggs bike i was joking around with....:thumbsup:
i like the lighted coil on my briggs. real simple hookup. puts out 2amps of DC current and go's straight to the battery and gives it a small charge and my lights on my bike run off of leds that only pull maybe something like .010 amps......so the battery never really drains down, even with the 12v starter and my lights are bright at ilde speed and the way i go........:scooter:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/12275-project-build-rear-springs.html

delray

hey The Restore Kid, i found two different style briggs 12v starter motors. one with a +post on the end of it. that one i use on my bike. just swap motors from 120v to the 12v motor and the other 12v i just found at a swap had a pos and neg wires/with plug end coming out of the starter motor.......:shrug:

My bike was in no class that could compare to the build you brought with you to Windber Delray. It might of had a starter but that was it. LOL Mine was not even hooked up and still is not hooked up yet. Lol I need to find one of the fuse panel boards like Tecumseh used on their tractors. So I can charge a battery correctly or I will make one.

delray

jmbmini , maybe i should post this under your project build? but i think this is good info for anyone that is using a tecumseh lighted coil..........:thumbsup: i have seen new rectifiers that are made very small and can handle up to 24amps. more then enough for a lighted coil on a tecumseh engine that only puts out 3-5 amps of ac current only.
i am little rusty on rectifiers,but why wouldn't something like this work.

hey The Restore Kid, i found two different style briggs 12v starter motors. one with a +post on the end of it. that one i use on my bike. just swap motors from 120v to the 12v motor and the other 12v i just found at a swap had a pos and neg wires/with plug end coming out of the starter motor.......:shrug:
HM...... Must be newer style or something... The three I have are all a single post... Might be like those vertical shaft lawn mower starers.. Just a battery pack on the handle bars that plugs in, small external stator to charge the battery... :shrug: