Lil Indian with predator 97cc

This is my lil indian I had for years it was up in the loft in the barn (forgot I even had it :laugh:). I took it down to livonia to show it to Ray Michrina and get some info on it and he said it was a nice clean straight frame wish I would've gotten it signed somewhere on it. Was going to repaint it but it still has the factory stickers on the frame even with the dealers name still on it La Baron's Cycle 34711 Dequidre in Troy. So I went to harbor freight and got a 97cc predator engine it runs and goes pretty good. Just with a would've gotten the 212cc though just for more speed :laugh::laugh::thumbsup: So if you want to trade engines just let me know :laugh:Just thought I'd so some american history on the lil indian.

Attachments

Wow! I'd never paint that bike. I'd look for an engine with matching patina and throw it in there. Very cool and thanks for sharing!

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Glad you decided to keep the bike and ride it again. I talked to you at the meet--sweet bike--hang on to it and if you put a 212 in it hold on to your shorts because it is a lot of motor for a small bike. I have one on mine and love it!

Great survivor! I like the way the 97cc Predator looks on that minibike. Would a 212 even fit?? You could also do what others have said and find a period correct engine and that would be totally cool too. Either way with that excellent relic you have, there are lots of options for lots of fun:thumbsup:

Ya boatguy I remember talkin to you there I should've asked ray to sign it when I was there the 97cc isn't bad no power out of the hole but top end isn't bad but that 212 she'd be a screamer…

That is a cool LiL survivor! Correct engine and brake would really make it. Is the color red or orange? Have you checked for a serial number?

A side note on this one is that the seat is made with a similar look to most I've seen but is definitely different. It looks thin with no kick up. They must have made a lot of different seats over the years.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thanks for compliments on my lil indian. Hey ajaxmini the color is orange and I looked for a serial number but didn't see one the tag on the engine plate says K and ray said that it was a kit bike but I've only seen one other one in orange. If you google orange lil indian nd look under images it will come up. As for the engine ray said it came with a tecumseh because it has a hole in the center of the engine plate and yes id like to find a correct year engine had a h22 but the carb was junk so that's why I but the predator on it. Hey boatguy I guess the 212 will fit I figured id have to take the tank, air cleaner and put a pipe on it to make it all fit in the frame but I guess it would all fit right out of the box… Yours has to be a screamer…
THANKS!!!!!!!!!

With the Hemi motor the gas filler is in the middle of the tank. To get the engine in undo the gas cap and let it hang on the chain--slide the engine in right to left--do up gas cap which is now in center of top tubes and you're good.

Hey ajaxmini the color is orange and I looked for a serial number but didn't see one the tag on the engine plate says K and ray said that it was a kit bike but I've only seen one other one in orange.
Thanks for clarifying the color. The fact that it was a kit means that it probably got painted by the purchaser from what I've read about them. Very cool that it's orange though. Not a common color on these little bikes.

As for the number, check the right rear wheel strap and see if there is anything stamped into it. I can't imagine they didn't stamp anything into it as most of the Tecumseh bikes I've seen have some sort of number. A couple of mine have a date code which is what I was hoping yours might have. You definitely have a very cool bike none the less! It'll look outstanding if you clean it up and get an original engine on it. They are so much fun to ride.

View attachment 66462

anyone know if that number ID decal is repopped??

are those the wheels that came on it, and are they aluminum :shrug: I see in this pic they are wrapped in Carlisles.

View attachment 66463
I haven't seen one of those ID decals yet Markus. In fact the only time I seen one before this was on an air cleaner that Randy had.

They look like the appropriate wheels for a LiL Indian in silver. I've questioned as to whether they ever came with silver 4" steelies or not but I don't recall anyone answering. It wouldn't surprise me if the kits came stock with the 4" steelies and you could upgrade it to the mags if you wanted.