Little Indian

Hi all,

I think this is my first post in this forum. I am not sure where to post this kind of thing!

A few years back I received a neglected Little Indian. I intended to use it as a pit vehicle at the track.

We restored it. We added a detachable side car also, which is kind neat. After using it for a race season, we would like to make two modifications:

1. Adjust the torque converter to prevent wheelies when starting to move, or remove the converter and install a centrifugal clutch.

2. Install an electric start. Right now it has a pull start. The problem we have is my wife uses the bike to get from pre-grid to up in the timing tower which is about 1/2 mile and she has about 2 minutes to do it. She does not have the strength or the time to deal with a pull start. Although the bike starts on the first second or third pull when warm, it is still a pain in the ass for her.

I would say that since the weight of the side car helps keep the front wheel on the ground that the electric start is more important.

I will be poking around looking for some help!

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Welcome. Post some pics. Depending on the engine, and electric start may be simple. I would keep the TAV and change the gear ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will try to get to the bike to take some photos and count the teeth. It is in my shed, with about 100 feet of 2 feet deep snow in the way. It is a Briggs engine. I don't recall seeing any indication on the flywheel that it could be an electric start, although I am sure I didn't know what I was looking for.

I poked around the bike last night. I made a mistake, the engine is a Tecumseh Power Sport, not a Briggs.

I could not really get any decent pictures.

If it's a Tec powersport, you may be able to use the flywheel, coils and starter from an OHV Tec. If the block has the bosses to mount the starter, you should be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk