looking for 5hp briggs electric start??

The motor on this bike has a starter I just turn a key to start this bike no pulling ropes.Yes Briggs did make them but they are rare...the pony rototiller by troybuilt had such an engine also the military motor that bad dog sell is this type of motor too,the bad dog motor is on my Schwinn bike.It also has a magneto to charge the battery.

delray

couple different style starters i have found for the briggs 5hp motors. one style i have found is for horz-engines. you can see in the picture i swap out the 120v for the 12v,so i could use the correct nose cone starter that originally bolted up to my block.

also another style 12v motor i have found is off a vertical engine. what hp it may have been? not sure on that. just found the starter at a swap. good thing is it looks like i can swap it out on a 120v starter and make it into a 12v just like the other starter i did that too. the only differents is this starter has a quick 12v disconnect wires.

nice thing about the lighted coils on a briggs like roccosbike posted and the briggs i use with a lighted coil. they both put out dc current and about 2amps.
by using led lights on my bike i could still put enough amp's back into a battery to keep it charge,so my electric 12v starter could turn the bike over all day.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/12275-project-build-rear-springs-10.html

Hello.

I realize that this thread is a few years old but I have been searching the internet for a replacement starter for my snowblower in hopes to get one before the snow flies again here in Michigan.

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide.

I will try to attach photos of my own snowblower/starter.

seaglin. P2160422.JPG P2160421.JPG P2160414.JPG P2160415.JPG P2160416.JPG P2160417.JPG P2160413.JPG P2160423.JPG

delray

interesting picture you have of your 5hp motor. i notes right away it has the small recoil spot welded in the normal position. my electric start 5hp with a lighted coil had the small recoil too,but it was spot welded from factory pointing straight forward out. making it little harder to use on my minibike project. had to break the spot welds and turn it and respot weld it back into place. so the recoil handle was pointing in the correct position. for poeple that don't understand why just didn't get another cover and bolt it on is ,because the newer briggs that came with electric start and a lighted coil. the covers are about 1/4 deeper. so the older recoil covers will not work. i believe they my have done this because of the flywheel's having lighted coils and the starter teeth on them??