Looking for fiberglass dune buggy kart

zook94

I have only seen one of these in my lifetime, its a half scale fiberglass Manx style dune buggy, full bodied with CVT drive, and a two cylinder rockwell engine.

I am looking desperately for one, restorable to basket case, as long as there is enough fiberglass to restore. Everything else is easy.

If you know who manufactured them, or have seen any pictures on the net, or know the whereabouts of one, PLEASE let me know. I have to have one.

I would think that the Rupp built Ruppster is what you are looking for. I don't think they ever came with a twin cylinder JLO just a single Steve :scooter:

Last edited:
This was the only picture I could find of the one that Cat made. I wish there was a better pix. But its the blue one in the bottom right corner.

Man thats cool. My dads best buddy got one when I was 13. They tried putting a kaw 250 motor in it. It would only do 10mph. Now looking back, those had a torque converter on them. Why my dads friend didn't use the original motor and put the tav back on it I will never know..............................

Now that I read Steven's post and looked up ruppster, thats what my father and his friend was working on. Man I wish I would have asked for that when they got fed up.....

zook94

I'll have to look at a ruppster, but that cat unit is definitely not it. The unit I saw was an exact replica of a Manx style dune buggy, just smaller.

zook94

Ruppster looks fun, but not it either. Its more like a real car, windshield, and dashboard, etc. It only had room for 2 seats, and had an original twin cylinder engine. Its been 20 years since I have seen it, maybe the guy still has it, and is thinking of selling? The guy has to be in his late 60's or early 70's by now.

Did it look like this ?

This is a better place to look and ask and possibly find out more about what your looking for.
TheSamba.com :: View topic - Would you buy a mini manx go-kart if available in the US ??

They sell new mini manx style bodies in the UK now but I havnt seen them here.
eastcoastbuggies uk
This is what they show for the mini manx.

Or check out this site.
ManxClub

I have seen something like what you are looking for around for sale years ago, you'll just have to keep looking but lean towards VW sites more as thats where they tend to show up more often.
I'm not a manx style buggy fan myself, I'd rather have a half sized baga bug bodied gokart.(but I'll just have to settle for a full size)

zook94

I read that thread on thesamba.com yesterday, and saw one picture online that looked close, but it was a thumbnail, that did not have the full sized picture hosted anymore. It was metalflake pink, a rear 3/4 shot, searching google images. I saw the mini manx style make in the UK as well, but its very small, this one was much larger, and had a hood, and seats proportional to a real human. Nice ruppster though.

Zook. I have seen what you are looking for. 3 yrs ago on ebay there was a small buggy body moled in purple metalflake. The roof and body were 1 piece. I believe it sold for $600. Can't remember where it was located.

Nope, sorry. The one I seek is much bigger than that, and a 2 seater. Roll bar, windshield, steering on the left where it belongs, just a twin cylinder air cooled CVT driven engine behind it. Smaller than a full size VW based buggy.
Thanks for looking tho.

The real ones are on the small side :)lol: real beetles are small inside) so unless it had a bench seat and no shifter/hand brake lever in the middle it was probably a real manx with maybe a custom engine mod.
My bug is like around 55" across at the doors.

If it was smaller than a manx it was most likely 2/3 scale as half scale would be very small.

Maybe someone cut a manx down I have seen lots of that done to bugs.

What kind of frame, suspension did it have ??

Here is an interesting link that has one or two pictures maybe its in there.:smile:
DunebuggyArchives-GALLERY
If by chance you see it on that link let us know I'm sure we'll all search :detective: the web looking for one that is up for sale.

I realize that I'm looking for a white elephant, but a few things. My brother has a genuine Manx, and it is approximately 2/3 the size, and not golf cart based. The body was one piece metalflake fiberglass, not cut down. Perfectly proportioned manx style body, but I didn't get to look at the suspension much (it was buried in deep weeds). I am going to make the trip (approximately 45 minutes one way) to see if its still there. I HAVE to have one of these, and I WILL find one. Thanks for the help guys.