low oil sensor

JustEnough

I am trying to run a Champion 6.5hp clone (that I bought at Costco last year for $100) for the first time.

It runs for a few seconds on starting fluid, so I know that the ignition is fine. It seems like it is not pulling fuel, even though the gas tank is half full.

I always start with the easy stuff and would like to disconnect the low oil sensor. The oil level is fine, but maybe the sensor has a problem. What I do not know is if I can just disconnect the wire, or if it has to be jumped somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Motra

The low oil sensor shuts the ignition off, so if the ignition is working then the problem's gotta be somewhere else. I'd bet my buck on the carburetor (assuming that, as Hayden pointed out, the fuel valve is in the on position). Sometimes the inlet needle can stick in its seat, stopping the fuel from flowing to the carburetor. You may be able to dislodge it by tapping on the float bowl with the handle end of a screwdriver.

you might want to try turnign you fuel off vavle in the "wrong" direction that is what happened to be my fuel vavle off position is the opposite of where it shoud be. the check to see if you have fuel flow take the bolw off the carb turn the gas on and see if it flows ou that would be the first thing i check.

JustEnough

Confirmed at the Champion Power Equipment web page that disconnecting the wire is the way to bypass the low oil sensor. Here is the link:
Champion Power Equipment - Frequently Asked Questions

There was some useful information there like spark plug information also:
Champion Power Equipment - Technical Bulletins

Confirmed no fuel in the float bowl. Pulled the gas tank and confirmed no fuel coming out of the tank. Removed the brass fitting at the bottom of the tank and confirmed that the brass fitting has no hole in it. I can see brass where the hole should be. I have never see a manufacturing defect like that before, but I have never bought a $100 engine, new, before.

at least you figured it out.

the low oil sensor on my clone doesn't work. i've had it on it's side and it just keeps running (i fell over while trying to tie my shoe, lol).

That depends on which side you fell to. If you fell to the left it would keep going, if you fell to the right it would turn off. Its cause the sensor is located on the left side.
You probably already knew that cause your a senior member, but i was just saying.