Manco Thunderbird question

I have a 593-00 Manco Thunderbird. I paid 40$ for it from a friend, and my dad thinks it's not worth anything but scrap metal. It has a 5hp Briggs OHV motor, and it just needed a chain and carb clean, it runs but it won't idle just shuts off. Bought a chain for 16 bucks on eBay.

Is putting money into these worth it? (Maybe 200$, cosmetics and a new 6.5hp) In the long run i'd like to sell it and cut even, don't know much about market on these bikes. I hear it's vintage 1970's.

Anyone have some info on how much they go for? Thanks a bunch!
(Will upload pics, but I've seen a lot on this forum)

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Get it running good and have fun with it. Value is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you only want to flip the bike for sale, get it running good, check CL for selling prices and list it.

WrenchDad

Quote:
Is putting money into these worth it? (Maybe 200$, cosmetics and a new 6.5hp) In the long run i'd like to sell it and cut even, don't know much about market on these bikes. I hear it's vintage 1970's.

If you just want to break even then why bother putting Money into it List it as is. You already know it's worth at least $40

I would get it running as is and have fun with it then later sell it I'm sure some one would pay more than $56 for it.

The manco thunderbirds are nice mini bikes, they have the larger wheels on them and a suspension so that makes them fun to ride. now they're not the most collectable mini bikes out there but hey, for $40 bucks you made out it sounds like. The motor is worth that even if it's not running right. You probably just need to clean the carb up and I bet it will run good. If I were you I would take the carb off and take it apart and give it a good cleaning, just make sure you pay close attention to how it comes apart so you can put it back together.

I'll definitely clean the carb today. The chain should arrive to me today also so ill finally get to ride it . One more question : is the clutch supposed to be loose ? It moves back and forth on the shaft just making sure that isn't bad before I put the new chain on

joshua. c.

on the clutch the outer clutch the drum is always a tiny bit loose but not alot and the center piece shoold not move on the shaft. id have to see yours up close to know if anything is wrong. also a briggs overhead valve is a good motor, don't waste your mony on new one. you coold use it to put briggs animal preformance parts into this engine instead. also your dad is wrong, a running mini bike is worth alot more than scrap, 40$ was a steal. i never find them that cheep.

Just got back from riding it, clocked it at 31 mph. Talk about wheelies for days! Got a new spark plug cleaned up the Carb and used some seafoam in the gas. It's running pretty nicely. Needs a muffler and air filter now and it'll be just perfect for me

Get home today, tried to take the bike out and ride again and it won't start. Did an oil change, kept trying to start it, I give it some throttle to start it and it'll bump over for a second then cut off. It makes a PSH sound and looks like it sprays fuel out of the carb? Not sure. New to smaller engines so I'm cruising around youtube looking for possible solutions. Starting to be a project!

I have a feeling it has to do with this. I put my finger over this and it wants to turn over. These are originally attached to the air cleaner, which i don't have the stock one, just a cone air filter. Getting the right air cleaner might fix my problem. Not sure though. IMG_0049.JPG