Max compression for pump gas & engine longevity

I basically want to know how much I can do to yhis gx200 before it's so powerful it requires reinforcement of any kind, or special fuel. Governor removed, billet conrod, billet flywheel. Want to shave .080 off the head and install a flat top piston. Stock crank .265 cam. 22mm mikuni carb. I'd be approaching a 13.5 compression ratio. Will this combo work with pump gas and will my engine have any kind of life?

Thats a mild engine to be honest. You will need stiffer valve springs to go with that cam. Also, Constant oil changes are a must for longevity.

also remember any modified motor run all out all the time puts alot of wear on parts and even with a billet rod and fly wheel you can still kill a motor.

Thats too much compression scale it back to around 11:1 for pump gas.

18 pound spring are fine for the 265 regrind. More than that will wear out lobes unless the cam is welded and hardened.

Compression is a killer and so is RPM.
These engines were desinged to put out 6hp relaibly the more you ask of it the less reliable it will be. The best way to preserve a race engine is to go easy on the throttle.

COntrary to popular belief there are more than two possitions to a throttle ( something my wife does not graspe ). Use the power you need not all that you have and your engine will last longer.,

Lots of good information. 11.1, thats diappointing. I want a 20 hp motor for putting around to friends houses and work and whatnot. Maybe im crazy, or maybe its the peyote.

@oldschool:

Lol @ "the more than 2 throttle positions" comment!!!

There seems to be so many opinions on what compression ratios will work with what fuel. Maybe a little more detailed explanation of the why and how is needed.

Any volunteers?

There seems to be so many opinions on what compression ratios will work with what fuel. Maybe a little more detailed explanation of the why and how is needed.

Any volunteers?
High compression will pound the piss out of the engine's internals.

11:1 with 93 octane is probably as high as I am comfortable with Pete.

I can't give you an solid numbers because there are too many factors to consider.

How much cylinder presure you develop at what RPM will begin to detonate.
How much timing.
How well is your carb working ( lean detonates rich less so but is lazy ).

Above 12 your effectively a diesel and now you need to prevent the natural desire of the fuel to detonate.....

What is your chamber shape.

How hot is the combustion chamber.

What kind of valves are you running.

What type of plug.

The people who realy know what's going on at 13:1 may or may not even bother reading this thread because they have been there and done that, switched to methanol and have no real interest in discussing gasoline.....

And an engine that burns gasoline and puts out 20hp will not put around.
It will be ill tempered and running at the limits for what a clone block can even be helds together.

Think lower compression and milder build.
12 hp is reasonable and achievable to most people.
Moving beyond that gets real expensive and requires you realy know what your doing.

miling .060 off of your head is the most i would do with a .010 gasket and 91+ octane pump gas.

13.1 is too much for pump gas, and will detonate and eat your motor apart. you will feel a great bump in power going from stock compression to 11-1 (milling stock 22cc head will put you there with an .010 gasket). seat of the pants you probably wont be able to tell much of a difference in 11-1 and 13-1. except when the motor is detonating and read to implode between your nuts.

dig through the honda/clone thread section. minidragbike put up a really good recipe for a nice powerful engine that will pullstart, make 15+hp, and is 9.8/10.0-1 compression on pump gas. i gave you the link below. check it out...

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-engines/44979-most-hp-built-clone-pump-gas.html

I basically want to know how much I can do to yhis gx200 before it's so powerful it requires reinforcement of any kind, or special fuel. Governor removed, billet conrod, billet flywheel. Want to shave .080 off the head and install a flat top piston. Stock crank .265 cam. 22mm mikuni carb. I'd be approaching a 13.5 compression ratio. Will this combo work with pump gas and will my engine have any kind of life?
13.5 comp I'd think about forged piston cause thT high could blow the top of the piston off right where the lip is above the first piston ring ...

13.5 comp I'd think about forged piston cause thT high could blow the top of the piston off right where the lip is above the first piston ring ...
I run the 308cam billet rod and I polish the crank journal and polish cam lobs to a mirror shine also polish the lifters valve stems ..The I install dual valve springs and the longer valves also ...I swirl polish the valve from valve seat lip back to valve stem ...also beefier push rods and I heat treat the lifters ...port the head also mill the hemi head like almost .080 and use .010 gasket with copper seal spray gasket both sides then grind camshaft and some of the billet rod to make sure the cam and billet rod have clearance between each other also clearance the block for rod and cam clearance...from there I lap the valves with lapping compound ...then on the flywheel I remove magnet retaining screw with a longer one and add locking nut to back side also a little epoxy between magnet and flywheel for more strength ...hone the block bore clean everything in solvent tank ....now I install every part and use assembly lube on every moving part button all up and my honda gx200 to honda gx390 carb adapter plate with gaskets and 390 carb take the emulsion tube from gx140 and get a main jet kit and start riding her gently to break in the parts ...20 min of riding then fresh oil change ....Now with smallest jet work up to you feel the power gain also put the idle air screw like 3 turns out and watch out cause it's going to hall ass ..I get mine up to about 62mph with 135/50x12 rear tire and 48tooth 420 sprocket and 10 tooth clutch ...once I get to 3000 rpm it just comes alive and rips all the way up to 8500 rpm ...Hint hints I get the Wesco piston and a big king size whipit canister and fill her up with nitrous and she pulls wheelies like it ain't shit ......