MB-165 gas tank overflow

Is anyone familiar with these gas tanks and how they are built?? I think there is something wrong with mine because when i fill it, i get a lot of excess gas pouring out of the side, even when the tank is only about half full. Now when i take the cap off, it looks like it just opens straight to the tank. in the owners manual, it looks like there should be a piece in there that marks the fill line, but i do not see it anywhere.. Basically it just looks like a tank with a cap on the top.. i looked inside but only saw the piece that shows how much gas is left in the tank.. Any way to try to prevent overspill or am i missing something on it?

Motra

The gas cap is very prone to leakage on those. After it leaks out of the cap it runs down to the seam and then it probably runs around to the back side of the tank. There is always a chance that the seam is split somewhere but that's unlikely, that usually happens when the tank is quite old and rusted. As for the missing part under the cap, it's just a screen that catches larger debris that otherwise might get into the tank. It does sometimes have a red ring to show the fill level. If you want that screen I could send you one, just pm me.