mbx10 frame questions

what is up everyone, I recently started working on an mbx10 that I had from when I was younger. unfortunately, it has sat outside under the elements for the last 8 years and is going to need a complete rebuild. I am currently in the process of removing all of the rust from the frame but I had some concerns and questions about the right way to do things. my first question is, what is the best way to remove all of the surface rust and fill in any pores left behind once the rust is gone? some areas are worse than others. my second question is, are the side panels towards the front of the frame necessary? there is a good amount of rust in there and I was just going to cut them out to be able to really get in there with a wire wheel, but I am concerned about them since they are welded to the where the steering shaft is located. any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

Attachments

Good morning and Welcome!
Best way to remove all of the rust is probably to unbolt everything and take the frame and fork to a sandblaster. When you get it back, you can decide what to do about any damage. Sometimes a little body filler and paint are all you'll need. Have fun and enjoy your project.