Michigan Deer Hunting 2012

jeep4me

Thursday, Nov.15 was the opening day of Michigans annual firearm deer hunting season. I took Thursday and Friday off from work to take my daughter hunting. (my son shows absolutely no interest in killing animals for sport)

After two days of not seeing a buck I could shoot (shot a running 8pt but missed), I was starting to get a little restless. Every night my daughter would say "We'll get one tomorrow dad, you'll see". Well, finally this morning I had my chance and bagged a big bodied buck, with some funky antlers.

Looks like we'll be having some fresh venison in the freezer this year.....finally.

Funny your daughter goes and your boy doesn't
that'll put some meat in the freezer.it's got a funky rack on it.
Buddy of mine took a 6 point with a bow and got a 7 point 3 minutes into the rifle season 100 yds behind my barn

MB165

Good job taking your kid hunting.:thumbsup: I cant wait till mine are old enough to go. Were still in archery season down here, I got a nice 8pt last saturday with my xbow.

WLB

Congratulations on the buck. It looks delicious. That is a strange rack. Looks like he may have been crossbred with an elk.

Today was Indiana's opening day for firearms. My son and I went down to our farm but didn't get one. He saw a doe but too far out and in heavy woods. The only thing I saw was three squirrels.

Congratulations on the buck. It looks delicious. That is a strange rack. Looks like he may have been crossbred with an elk.

Today was Indiana's opening day for firearms. My son and I went down to our farm but didn't get one. He saw a doe but too far out and in heavy woods. The only thing I saw was three squirrels.
I hear squirrels good eattin' :laugh:

jeep4me

I think he might have been wandering around too close to the nuke plant! lol
Hhmmm....funny you say that. There is a big potash plant less then a mile from where we hunt.

Thanks for the congrats. My daughter gets more excited for opening day then she does christmas morning.

No luck yet...going back wed till sun. This is in myback yard along with a 6pt spike and 7 doe....all this in sterling heights...go figure.

I noticed the rack too.

But people need to remember thats a nice buck, but not that old.
Hard pressed to put an age on it based on the antlers but looking at the over all size and appearence thats a very healthy fellow.

Deer populations are exploding all around the north end of the continent..
Thats a sign of a healthy habbitat and plenty of feed ( some farmers may disagree that its just a casuse of the white tail rat invading their fields ).

The young lady looks like she's taken to the sport.
Thats good.
Need more kids like that top take an active interest in hunting and fishing because they are the ones that will ensure their are plenty open green spaces and proper management of our wildlife resources.

Good eating too.
Depending on where you live and that feed is around the nutritional value is higher per pound.
Thats better meat than you can buy in a store.
No worries about Ecoli or hormons added too.

jeep4me

I noticed the rack too.

But people need to remember thats a nice buck, but not that old.
Hard pressed to put an age on it based on the antlers but looking at the over all size and appearence thats a very healthy fellow.

Deer populations are exploding all around the north end of the continent..
Thats a sign of a healthy habbitat and plenty of feed ( some farmers may disagree that its just a casuse of the white tail rat invading their fields ).

The young lady looks like she's taken to the sport.
Thats good.
Need more kids like that top take an active interest in hunting and fishing because they are the ones that will ensure their are plenty open green spaces and proper management of our wildlife resources.

Good eating too.
Depending on where you live and that feed is around the nutritional value is higher per pound.
Thats better meat than you can buy in a store.
No worries about Ecoli or hormons added too.
Unfortunately in Michigan we're dealing with a new disease in white tail deer, EHD or Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease. This is killing deer by the thousands. It hasn't been seen much where I hunt, mid-central Michigan, but is pretty prevalent in the lower part of the state. A few years ago we were looking out for Bovine TB, now this. It kills the deer pretty quickly after they contract it so most hunters won't see it in the deer that are taken.

MikeBear

Unfortunately in Michigan we're dealing with a new disease in white tail deer, EHD or Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease. This is killing deer by the thousands. It hasn't been seen much where I hunt, mid-central Michigan, but is pretty prevalent in the lower part of the state. A few years ago we were looking out for Bovine TB, now this. It kills the deer pretty quickly after they contract it so most hunters won't see it in the deer that are taken.
Yeah, what REALLY scares me about this disease, is that the DNR (damn near Russia) says infected animals are FINE for eating.....

YET, the dead animals so far are completely untouched by vultures, and vermin in general. Hey, if a turkey-vulture, coyote, or anything else won't eat a dead animal in Michigan, something is seriously wrong with it and I don't think humans should eat it either.

MikeBear
Yeah, what REALLY scares me about this disease, is that the DNR (damn near Russia) says infected animals are FINE for eating.....

YET, the dead animals so far are completely untouched by vultures, and vermin in general. Hey, if a turkey-vulture, coyote, or anything else won't eat a dead animal in Michigan, something is seriously wrong with it and I don't think humans should eat it either.

That is a sad thing to hear.
I recall this PBS show Called Michgan out doors.
I was left with the impression that the DNR were a very good management agency.
And although its hard for me to know today, there were a lot of people studying and caring for the local wildlife.
I am saddened to hear there is a deases up there causing so much trouble and the DNR is no longer the institution it apeared to be on TV.

A chum of mine was telling me about these tiny little deer they have in the hills in Itally.

Capa... something.
They grow to about 60 pounds, sort of a Jack-o-lope as he discribes them jumping like wabbits.

Kind of wish we had a compact sized game animal one fellow could easily drop and toss over the sholder walk out with....

Maybe it will come to that introducing something else.

They introduced some Elk around me, and Turkey, Pheasent.
The Elk are native but were wiped out by circling deases, Thanks to climate change the Pheasents winter over ( no season for them though ) and the turkey are becoming a problem the way they breed and eat ( the Ministry tried to introduce to rattlesnakes also not common this far north because of cold as a control.... turkey's ate them lol ).

This is just my theory, but the more diverse the kinds of animal living in an area the less likely they are to get over populated or deseased.
My theory is the more diverse the more spread out the animal become because they can't conetrate in an eare without over grazing.
Deseaes if natural is natures way to thin them out.
But if natures garbage men won't clean up the mess I get concerned....

Coyotes suck, thankfuly the wolves up are doing their job ( and we still have some fox but they are under presure from the coyote )

WrenchDad

Nice deer!!!! Did you shoot it where it lays? Thats some really nice open woods. In pa. thats not a legal buck because of points restriction but man that is a nice bodied deer. It's cool that your daughter likes to hunt it's nice to have some one with you who enjoys getting a deer even if they didnt shoot it. My son isnt ready yet but I'll be out next Monday I would love to see something as big as that where I hunt.

Nice job.