michigan law on titleing mini bikes

page 25 of mich. off-road vehicle book "owners of orvs are required to:eek:btain a certificate of title for the orv through the secretary of state" in my area (wayne co.) dnr rep wont issue orv without it,i would rather have proof i own these bikes anyway,then the vin is on state record if it gets stolen .ORV license is 36.25, is that what your paying in your area,or is this another wayne co. scam? police in my area confiscate mini bikes if you cant prove you own it. and many cant prove it for some reason. your area is beautiful with many nice areas to ride,im jealous

yea thanks kid,ive got it narrowed down i think its a 68 dodge color,my son works at napa and has a color gun?to match colors.maybe we need a post when we find colors what codes they are

I still cant find pics of mine,it had a log shaped steel gas tank which the bracket snapped off within a year.mine looks like a cheeftah,but the only badgeing is on the front plate "panther",i got an owners manual with it,and thats why i know its a lomart.strange vehicles just find me,i have a 4spd stick floorshift e150

yea thanks kid,ive got it narrowed down i think its a 68 dodge color,my son works at napa and has a color gun?to match colors.maybe we need a post when we find colors what codes they are
It's very possibly a stock automotive code from the same era some mini bike manufacturers were known to borrow the popular colors of the day. Lomart Industries was primarily a swimming pool manufacturer so it may have been leftover pool paint hahaha. It probably wasn't specific to that model it may be the same green used on the more common Cheeftah.

Any chance you have an old family photo or home movie taken of the bike when you were a kid ?

THATS IT! everything is the same,except the name badge mine has a black crown like hills with panther ,nothing fancy no outline and my seat had white piping.my kid says its 69 pontiac veldoro green #2?thats what the spectrum gun says for formula.my dad recovered the seat in saddle,i dont remember why

got photos but there black and white
oh my god i do have video,got to go through dads 8mm movies
That's awesome...scan the pics when you get a chance we love old photos like that. If you could somehow get the movie on Youtube that would be really cool. Maybe just cheat and take an Iphone video of the 8mm movie being shown on a projector screen.

THATS IT! everything is the same,except the name badge mine has a black crown like hills with panther ,nothing fancy no outline and my seat had white piping.my kid says its 69 pontiac veldoro green #2?thats what the spectrum gun says for formula.my dad recovered the seat in saddle,i dont remember why
That's Verdoro green...I have a '67 Firebird that color.

I have to say the Lomart color looks much darker than Verdoro green. Also Verdoro Green was a metallic.

Last edited:
didnt see it im wondering if panther was a name jl hudson used,i do remember cheeftahs or maybe it was early or late build.ruppman was in what is now canton/ plymouth,mi border. i know they made bikes there but dont know if it was THE ruppman,toward late 70s they were selling yamahas /enderos and i think speedways out of the building and ruppman sign was still on the building.just talked to a guy i grewup with,he still has the 2 ruppman uglies his dad bought.

Last edited:
67-68 have verdoro green #1 69 has verdoro #2 this pic looks non met,mine is met.the pic from ebay looks like it.which i learned today ,#2 code 73.i didnt know there were 2 shades .it was prettier than cheeftah pic.it also was painted overtop of blue paint just like this one,what years did they build them?do you know?

just stripped part of the frame,its not cheeftah green in pic,its got met,but its not your green.and it has blue under it,im at dads house i just found the spray can of paint from 1971 that i used to paint it,i gotta start throwing things out .by the way beautiful car!i still have the most hated gto ,74 any of your friends need a 66 ohc 6cyl?

oldsledz

page 25 of mich. off-road vehicle book "owners of orvs are required to:eek:btain a certificate of title for the orv through the secretary of state" in my area (wayne co.) dnr rep wont issue orv without it,i would rather have proof i own these bikes anyway,then the vin is on state record if it gets stolen .ORV license is 36.25, is that what your paying in your area,or is this another wayne co. scam? police in my area confiscate mini bikes if you can't prove you own it. and many cant prove it for some reason. your area is beautiful with many nice areas to ride,im jealous
They are 26.25 here for the ORV sticker and 10.00 for the DNR trail permit. Depending on where you ride you may not need the trail permit. Maybe something is different for bikes I have only ever got one for a 4 wheeler. Here in Midland county ORVs must have 4 wheels to be legal , but the police don't bother you unless you are doing something stupid. But proof of ownership for 36.00 is a good deal.

I would take a road trip and head rural north, Don't mention ASSEMBLY BIKE or CUSTOM. That's when un-knowledgeable officers get involved. And all they want is numbers.. Ask for yellow paper to see if you can register bike, they run the vin that you supply and see if its stolen, if not stolen pay tax and now ya have Michigan title! And once you have that, you can street legal etc.. but yes in my county all ya need is 26.25 ORV cheap ass sticker! But the fine is 150 without sticker,,, But golf carts are ok,, that's another issue damn golf carts, don't even need a helmet? but orv ya do! But by Michigan law,not township rules... if you are using that golf cart like an orv you will or should get a ticket!

ok everyone. update on what it takes to get a road legal minibike in michigan.

first and foremost, anything road or trail legal has to have a title. so if you are looking to get an ORV sticker or get it street legal, you'll HAVE to have a title. a bill of sale is required if you don't, then, there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get a title. First, you'll have to risk taking it to the police to run a LEIN on it checking to see if it was ever reported stolen:
1: if it has been, you're getting charged with recieving and concealing stolen property, BUT, you MIGHT get leniency based on turning it in and they could wash it all clean for you.
2: if the serial number is clean, you can pay double the fair market value plus 10% to get a title. if the serial numbers on the motor do not match the serial number on the frame, you have to then take it to the state police and have it further inspected. i don't know fully what this road leads to since i haven't taken it. the last thing i want to do is misinform someone.

the qualifications for a moped are:
1:it has to be 100cc or less of piston displacement
2:has to have front and rear brakes
3:has to have headlight illuminating objects up to 100 feet and a tail light\brake light
4:has to have a horn capable of being heard from 200 feet
5:cannot exceed 30mph
6:headlight and handlebars have specific regulations as well i just don't know the measurement from the ground to the head\tail light or the height on the bars from the seat.
anything over these qualifications and you have to register it as a motorcycle and have it insured and plated.

this is what i know so far. i will update what i find to be absolutely factual as i find it all out.

Last edited:
I would take a road trip and head rural north, Don't mention ASSEMBLY BIKE or CUSTOM. That's when un-knowledgeable officers get involved. And all they want is numbers.. Ask for yellow paper to see if you can register bike, they run the vin that you supply and see if its stolen, if not stolen pay tax and now ya have Michigan title! And once you have that, you can street legal etc.. but yes in my county all ya need is 26.25 ORV cheap ass sticker! But the fine is 150 without sticker,,, But golf carts are ok,, that's another issue damn golf carts, don't even need a helmet? but orv ya do! But by Michigan law,not township rules... if you are using that golf cart like an orv you will or should get a ticket!

this is the kind of thing someone learns from experience. I'm glad i read this. i can only find out what websites, the secretary of state and the bike company say. good looking on that pitfall. it sure saved me some headache.