mikuni leaking out the overflow

I got a 22mm mikuni carb kit from nr and i am having some problems with it. i tried the 130 jet for clone but it ran like poop. then i tried the stock jet that i drilled smaller than the 130 and it ran a bit better but then it started leaking out the bottom of the float bowl and the over flow tube/vent. that being said i replaced it with my old bored clone carb and it ran waaayyyy better bottom end and topend. help please!

125ccCrazy

check the float to see if it's level when the carb is upside down, also check to see if there is any dirt or debre on the needle/seat.....if those check out it could be the O-ring that goes around the brass seat for the needle, I had a carb where that O-ring shrunk and wouldnt seal allowing fuel to leak past it and into the bowl which over filled and leaked all over..

vette66_00

I got a 22mm mikuni carb kit from nr and i am having some problems with it. i tried the 130 jet for clone but it ran like poop. then i tried the stock jet that i drilled smaller than the 130 and it ran a bit better but then it started leaking out the bottom of the float bowl and the over flow tube/vent. that being said i replaced it with my old bored clone carb and it ran waaayyyy better bottom end and topend. help please!
You have to tune the carb to your engine. What is your set up. Do you have a pipe? what else?

When you took off the float bowl did you take out the float assy? If so did you put the float back together right? There is a spring that holds the float to the fuel cut off plunger, if its backward it can bind and cause the bowl to over flow.

A #130 is a bit rich for most applications I run a #125 with a 17.5 pilot with a cam, rod, flat top piston, springs, billet flywheel, exhaust, and 8 deg advanced.

These carbs are super sensitive to dirt, you must run a fuel filter to make sure no crud will get into the float and jets.

well it has a arc .020 long rod 1.3 rockers cm pushrods the head is ported and has a 3angle valve job shaved .065 26lb springs and a custom ground cam about 260 lift as well as stud kit. i hope i can get this thing to run right with this carb. right now its new to me i had the clone carb down but i knew it was holding it back. because when i went from stock to the bored carb there was a big diff the thing pulled hard.

vette66_00

well it has a arc .020 long rod 1.3 rockers cm pushrods the head is ported and has a 3angle valve job shaved .065 26lb springs and a custom ground cam about 260 lift as well as stud kit. i hope i can get this thing to run right with this carb. right now its new to me i had the clone carb down but i knew it was holding it back. because when i went from stock to the bored carb there was a big diff the thing pulled hard.
I would get a 125 and a 135 main jet, also a 15 and a 17.5 pilot. To start. This way you can figure out if you are lean or to rich.

well looks likei had some dirt in my carb that stuck the float open. it runs ok fo now. but it does seem to idle high but when i crack the throttle open real quick the id;e goes down then comes back up high. like the piolet jet is a bit too small/lean. does that sound right? my plug looks good but i still think the 130 main jet is a bit too small. i have the needle set to the bottom clip point that is where it ran best. any ideas? :blink: oh and i added a filter in line also.

well looks likei had some dirt in my carb that stuck the float open. it runs ok fo now. but it does seem to idle high but when i crack the throttle open real quick the id;e goes down then comes back up high. like the piolet jet is a bit too small/lean. does that sound right? my plug looks good but i still think the 130 main jet is a bit too small. i have the needle set to the bottom clip point that is where it ran best. any ideas? :blink: oh and i added a filter in line also.
Still sounds like it has crap in the carb, or pilot jet, or somethings binding. It could be air leak too. Blipping the throttle to restore idle is almost always lean pilot (on a 2 stroke). Is it a chinese Fakuni or a real one? Try cleaning it again and put the needle back to position 3. When I had a Fakuni VM22 on mine I ran 15 pilot, 3rd clip, 140 main and never had the issues you speak of. My clone turned 7888 RPM with that carb.

vette66_00

Sounds like the pilot is too lean. Also make sure the throttle slide is retuning to the bottom. If you are at the bottom clip on a #130 jet and it seems lean I would go up 2 sizes. Then re-adjust. 17.5 pilot also. If you are unsure on the main, put a new plug in run it for about 5 mins up and down the block and then check the plug. Black to rich, brown to lean...

Still sounds like it has crap in the carb, or pilot jet, or somethings binding. It could be air leak too. Blipping the throttle to restore idle is almost always lean pilot (on a 2 stroke). Is it a chinese Fakuni or a real one? Try cleaning it again and put the needle back to position 3. When I had a Fakuni VM22 on mine I ran 15 pilot, 3rd clip, 140 main and never had the issues you speak of. My clone turned 7888 RPM with that carb.
Real Mikuni
Fake Mikuni

well i have got it fixed and all i can say is WOW! this thing flys. and it was my pipe i was using well more the muffler. i was a home made mini flowmaster. well lets say it cannot flow what this engine now puts out. slaped my rlv pipe on with a knocked out briggs muffller and it is ok with the 15 piolet jet and 130 main this works for me.
thanks for all the pointing in the right direction.

well i have got it fixed and all i can say is WOW! this thing flys. and it was my pipe i was using well more the muffler. i was a home made mini flowmaster. well lets say it cannot flow what this engine now puts out. slaped my rlv pipe on with a knocked out briggs muffller and it is ok with the 15 piolet jet and 130 main this works for me.
thanks for all the pointing in the right direction.
Cool! Sounds like it's all good. I have the AGK "weld it yourself pipe and flange kit" Then I welded a 3/4" conduit coupler to the end and screw in a $10 muffler from Ace hardware. Keeps the neighbors happy (sort of) but drops my max RPM by about 500.
You wanna go to Ubly on May 22 and see what kind of time it runs? I'm trying to get a few guys to go. You could drive to my place in Rochester, and I'll drive the rest of way. PM if interested.

i have one other question about the carb what float hight are you guys running? i seem to have a hick up when i hit a bump. or when it picks up the front end and it slams back down also lol. other than that dam its fast well not fast but dam quick and fun. :thumbsup: