Mikuni Throttle Cable Modification

I just order a Mikuni and intake for my bike. I found out AFTER reading the tuning tips that the Mkuni requires a ball or barrel (lead) end for the throttle slide. I have a new throttle cable, but it has only one barrel end on it for the hand throttle. Has anyone came across this situation and how did you fix it?
I was thinking about crimping a lead splitshot (small fishing lead weight) onto the bare cable end, but I'm not sure the crimp alone will secure to the cable. My last resort is to try and make a small mold and melt some lead. The other option is to lay a small amount of solder in the end of the cable and then crimp the lead splitshot directly about the solder?

Thanks,
Larry

It would be best to get the proper cable to work with the carb you have. I'm all in favor of making do and modifying things to work but in the case of a Mikuni cable there isn't much else you can do if you want it to work properly and not take chances with a sticky throttle etc. The place you ordered the carb from should be able to supply the correct cable or check at a motorcycle shop.

The ball end for the carb is very common and most motorcycle repair shops have bulk cable and the parts. Use the phone book to find a shop that makes their own cables. I buy from Flanders Company, Motorcycle Handelbars In Chrome, 7/8" & 1", Replacement Brake & Clutch Levers For Dirt Bikes, Street Bikes, ATV/Quads, Scooters And All Accessories For Motorcycles and ATVs, Offroad Products, Dual Sport Products, Motorcycle Handelba but they probably have a minimum order requirement. But take a look and make sure of the size of the part that you need. Steve :scooter:

Look in Beatrice cycle website under performance parts-carberation section.They have the solder on ends for the Mikunies I believe.

I just used solder. Clean the end of the cable with sand paper REALLY good. Heat up some solder and the end of the cable, dip the end of the cable in some flux then stick it in the molten solder after that use a dremel to reshape to the size you need. Dont use a huge glob of solder, it can take awhile to dremel it down.

i took an electrical connector and cut it so that i would just have the crimp "barrel" to work with. Crimped this onto the cable and then dipped it in jb-weld. Works fine

Thanks to everyone who responded. I now have plenty of options to use.
I have a brand new cable and I would like to use it instead of having to order another one, if possible.
Thanks again!
Larry

Kenny1

The cable that comes with the common cheapo brake handle has a ball end where it goes into the twist grip. There is a barrel that goes over the ball. I slid the barrel off and turned the cable around in the housing and then cut the bare end to length at the grip and installed a brass barrel end. I love the way the Mikuni runs and it sure looks cool sticking out from the side of the bike.

The cable that comes with the common cheapo brake handle has a ball end where it goes into the twist grip. There is a barrel that goes over the ball. I slid the barrel off and turned the cable around in the housing and then cut the bare end to length at the grip and installed a brass barrel end. I love the way the Mikuni runs and it sure looks cool sticking out from the side of the bike.
Kenny, I ordered a brass barrel and will use it on the plain cable end as you suggested.
Again, thanks to all for their advice.
Larry