model rocket engines

I have a 5hp minibike with comet tav2 torque converter, I got it up to 37.6 (i have a bike speedometer mounted) today on a straight strech and thats as fast as it'll go. I just ordered a nitrous oxide kit for pocket bikes and I figure it will add about 4-6 mph to my top speed but i was wondering how much speed gains i could get by mounting 3 model rocket engines with 80 newton-seconds of force each. thats 240 newton seconds, spread out for about 2 seconds so its really 120 newtons for two seconds. anyone tryed something like this?

you made me laugh... the nitrous might blow your engine up. and it wont do anything except add power unless you have ur governor unhooked it will still only go 3600 rpm. the rockets will not make you go faster they will just look kool :thumbsup:

haha funny stuff. I hope you dont like your engine because its not gonna last long like that. If its top speed your after just change your sprocket gearing

SR, When it comes to adding speed the only real answer is "MORE HORSEPOWER".
gearing, then horsepower.

if he's topping out at 37.6, chances are he won't go much faster and will probably grenade his motor trying. if the rockets did end up working, the engine will just over rev and probably get damaged too.

the carb is going to need to be re-jetted as well for the nitrous. you don't just stick it on and go.

arnt model rocket engines pretty expensive especially the big ones? I got out of rockets in the mid 90's because the price kept jumping up cant imagine what they cost now

Ahhh the old saying is still true today.

"there's NO replacement for displacement"\

Find a larger engine and change your gearing
put two engines on it........and change your gearing
or best yet just get an old single cylinder snowmobile engine as it will be a 2-stroke is should really get up and go

A freshly rebuilt 2-stroke will run circles around most any 4-stroke of comparable size even if the 4-stroke is running nitrous.
(the nitrous 4-stroke would detonate long before a 2-stroke needed a rebuild)

Neck

Growing up is optional
Sounds like you want to go fast drag racing, try this, take your engine off and clamp an oxygen cylinder between yur frame tubes with the valve end out the back. When the flag man drops his arms knock the valve off with a four pound hammer and HANG ON!!! nobody will catch you and you should be out of thrust by the end of the quarter mile, oh yes a parachute is advisable! And by all means.......get it on film!

thanks for the input, I will probably just add a couple rockets for looks and a couple mph more if need be, plus im getting a 10hp tecumseh to mount on there. with the tav2 Ive got, Ill be FLYING. anybody know a relativly quiet 2 stroke that puts out over 5hp that will fit it properly? (3/4" shaft)

thanks for the input, I will probably just add a couple rockets for looks and a couple mph more if need be, plus im getting a 10hp tecumseh to mount on there. with the tav2 Ive got, Ill be FLYING. anybody know a relativly quiet 2 stroke that puts out over 5hp that will fit it properly? (3/4" shaft)
Some of the Rotax motors that they use on ultralight aircraft are reasonably quiet with a muffler installed. While you're at it look for one with the propeller and fan guard still attached and mount the whole thing on the back of your mini. No chains, no sprockets, no clutches, and all that room where the old motor used to sit for a cooler. Ogy

den35

Some of the Rotax motors that they use on ultralight aircraft are reasonably quiet with a muffler installed. While you're at it look for one with the propeller and fan guard still attached and mount the whole thing on the back of your mini. No chains, no sprockets, no clutches, and all that room where the old motor used to sit for a cooler. Ogy

You could alway use a model airplane turbine engine as well.Some of the bigger ones put out 150+lbs of thrust.

Oh,what the heck!Put 4 on and REALLY take off.LOL:thumbsup:

Why not rockets and nitrous? And why just 3 rockets? Heck, there's got to be room for a dozen or more on the bike, plus one under each arm. Be sure the camera's rolling because you'll probably only get one chance! Or, just send away for one of these pulse jet bikes. It's for real, and made right here in Oregon. There are lots more videos of this on youtube.

YouTube - super twin pulsejet bike