Modifying a Comet Torc-a-verter

Been lurking a while and finally have a question. The old comet belt drive I have won't work with the 5.5hp OHV honda I have. If I could lengthen the frame on the converter the rear pulley/shaft assembly would clear the head and valve cover.
Has anyone done this? Will I be able to find a longer belt?

Last edited:
can you shim up the engine or mount it on a bit of an angle? might have to change the muffler and tank. possibly move the engine forward some. Youd be much better off doing something like that than modifying the tav Imo . also you can round out the holes in the backing plate to fit it tighter to the head

Thought of that. I would have to turn the motor almost 45 deg to clear the head. I was afraid it would affect oiling. The frame also interferes unless I get creative. Worst case, I'll just save the TAV for another project and use a regular clutch on this one.

Last edited:
really? I have one mounted on the same engine and it only sticks down below the engine mount like an inch or so. you can also cut back the cover and cut off the lower cover mount. Just put a screw in the top one to keep the cover down solid

the stock belt for the TAV-30 is # 203589A and is for a 6 5/8 to 6 11/16 inch center to center distance.
If you stretch it out to a 7 9/16 to 7 5/8 inch the belt number is 203591A and there are a lot more sizes past that
Steve :scooter:

yea looks like a real tight squeeze no matter what you do probrobly more trouble than its worth. you can always fit a jackshaft later if you want more omph

take the tank and muffler off that should give you clearance to put the motor on an angle so you can drop mount the tav. I had to raise the back up a little over an inch and the front a half inch to get clearance when i took the 3.5 flatty off in exchange for my gx140, on my bike. i think you just put more oil in the case to compensate, like 14oz. or something?

from the looks of it you might be able to do something with those tabs behind the motor in terms of just deleting the backplate and running just the pulleys. but if you angle the motor you shouldnt have to do this.

maybe extend the motor plate forward. theres really a 1000 things you could do to get this bike going and more ideas. someone has experience on this frame.

good luck:smile: